Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:35 AM   #1

I am looking at the DSC-H1 and S2 IS but prefer shooting in RAW mode. I used it with success on my Canon S45.

How long does it take to save RAW pictures on the FZ30? Would fasterSD improve RAW saving speeds? What is the bestSD for recording RAW on FZ30? How well does it do in low light without a flash. I am going to Europe and many museums and churches are no flash shooting.

mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:51 AM   #2

This page is on all the dpreview tests. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/page5.asp

They list 3.6 seconds per shot and that isn't buffered so you can shoot at that speed indefinitely. They used a Sandisk Extreme card which they say is the same as the Ultra II. Something is a little off as they are getting a write speed faster than the Ultra II can do. Not by a lot, but enough that I know something isn't exactly right with their card description. For the rest of the tests they are using an Extreme III, which is going to be fast enough for anything. Get something with a write speed around 10Mb/sec and the card won't be slowing the camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the link.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:09 PM   #4

My FZ30 writes a Raw in 2 seconds and a tiff in 3.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:11 PM   #5

genece wrote:
Quote:
My FZ30 writes a Raw in 2 seconds and a tiff in 3.
What memory card are you using?
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:53 PM   #6

I had a post here listing the cards I use but every card except one,that is over 512mb writes at the same speed.

TIFF RAW
PQI 1gb 40X 4 seconds 3 seconds

Simpletech 256mb 60X 4 3

Lexar256mb 32X 5 4

Lexar 1gb 32X3 2

Kingsmax 512mb 60X 32

Kingsmax 1gb 60X 3 2

Panasonic 512mb 133X 3 2

2 Transcend 2gb ..150X 3 2

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:54 PM   #7

mckennma wrote:
Quote:
I am looking at the DSC-H1 and S2 IS but prefer shooting in RAW mode. I used it with success on my Canon S45.

How long does it take to save RAW pictures on the FZ30? Would fasterSD improve RAW saving speeds? What is the bestSD for recording RAW on FZ30? How well does it do in low light without a flash. I am going to Europe and many museums and churches are no flash shooting.

Depending on how dim the light is, the picture quality will vary. There is no easy answer for how well does it do in low light. You will be able to tell from the second you review your first shot how well it does. Take a look at my post "ho hum" here in Panasonic. This was shot in low light conditions. Dim enough that the shutter stayed open so long that even with IS it could not capture the shot without a flash, without being very blurry. However, add a tripod, and you see how well the shot came out. Set on P and no flash. Looks very acceptable. So, it can do low light, no flash, but a tripod is a great help. Here...this will save you looking for it....best regards,

Kd
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:26 AM   #8

I personally wouldn't recommend this camera for low light shooting unless you plan on bringing a tripod. When taking pictures at ISO 100, it's just at the threshold of having visible noise throughout the image. If you underexpose an image and brighten it up, whether it's a JPG you're adjusting in photoshop or a RAW image you increase the exposure level with, you will introduce significant noise into the image. This is the major weakness of the camera.

What the camera does to make up for it is provide you with as many tools as it can to ensure you get a proper exposure each time, and it does a good job at that, as well as being very accurate with white balance. Because of these qualities, RAW shooting is hardly beneficial with this camera. The only time I find RAW shooting helpful is if I shoot at night, not because I can brigthen the picture more effectively, but rather because that's the only situation where the white balance tends to be off.

For the purpose of shooting indoors in museums and churches, I would consider the Fujifilm FinePix F10; http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_.../fuji_f10.html

It's a significantly smaller and cheaper camera with hardly any zoom, but its shots at ISO 1600 look roughly as good as the FZ30 does at ISO 200. It definitely wouldn't be my camera of choice for outdoor daytime photos though, especially nature photos.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:19 AM   #9

Ihad a few say stay away from Fuji Film. Too many issues with them. xD media is one reason.

I am looking for a single camera to replace my Canon S45 and S1 IS.

5+ MP
12X Optical Zoom
RAW, if possible

I can't take a tripod or monopod. I usually lean against a wall or use a string on the bottom to steady the camera. I do understand the reasons for a tripod or monopod. Most of these sites don't allow them because of possibility of damage to objects from them. They are bulky on walking tours. I usually can find ways to steady the camera. I also use Adobe Photoshop CS2 and other apps to clean up pictures in RAW mode.

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:49 PM   #10

Hmmmm. You might be ok but your low light shots will be very dependent uponjust h o w low the light is. I know if you shoot in P mode for ex you will have to have rock steady hands to shoot anything decent in low light. The shutter just stays open too long for hand held shots. I will try a few to show you some variable shots, and post some hand held low light no tripod shots, as well as try to shoot a few higher ISO shots. It might be interesting.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote