Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1

I noticed the category of semi-professional digicams on this websites link under best cameras. Z3http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Is that category better or worse than super zoom?. I was planning on purchasing a Panasonic FZ30 which seems to offer the best options in a super zoom.The FZ30 seems to offer lots of bang for the buck but I just noticed the term "semi-professional digicams" under the web link above and didn't quite understand the distinction.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:50 AM   #2

looks to me like the only real difference is the extra zoom you get with the FZ30. a few of the "semi-pro" digicams offer things the FZ doesn't, and vice versa, but i expect if the FZ were 8x zoominstead of 12x, it'd be in that "semi-pro" category.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:08 AM   #3

TEST MESSAGE:-?
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:12 AM   #4

TEST MESSAGE WITH PICTURE:blah:
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:59 AM   #5

Meanstreak

I'd personally say the FZ's easily fall into the semi-pro digicam - its just that they're also the best Ultra Zoom's around. Looking at that list the FZ5/7/20/30 are easily as good or better than anything there except for the Sony R1 which is a different beat altogether.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:23 PM   #6

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
looks to me like the only real difference is the extra zoom you get with the FZ30. a few of the "semi-pro" digicams offer things the FZ doesn't, and vice versa, but i expect if the FZ were 8x zoominstead of 12x, it'd be in that "semi-pro" category.
I guess I just got thrown by the words semi-pro. It was late and I have been looking at some many reviews that I didn't have the energy to read up on those models. I think I will stick with my instincts get the FZ30.

Thanks

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:24 PM   #7

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Meanstreak

I'd personally say the FZ's easily fall into the semi-pro digicam - its just that they're also the best Ultra Zoom's around. Looking at that list the FZ5/7/20/30 are easily as good or better than anything there except for the Sony R1 which is a different beat altogether.

Cheers

HarjTT

Thanks... I think I will stick to the FZ30.