Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:46 AM   #1

any impressions , opinions of the 2.5 inch lcd on theFZ7 compaird to the FZ5 . The FZ5 is smaller but has a larger resolution. I was wondering how it compaird in framing shots ,and revue later.
paul-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:29 PM   #2

paul-b wrote:
Quote:
any impressions , opinions of the 2.5 inch lcd on theFZ7 compaird to the FZ5 . The FZ5 is smaller but has a larger resolution. I was wondering how it compaird in framing shots ,and revue later.
Well Paul, I don't have an FZ5 but I do have a new FZ7 and I moved up from the FZ3. So seeing that I have the same resolution on a bigger screen I guess I can answer your question. I like it. It's just fine for what I need to use it for. Framing a shot or doing a quick review it's just fine. I never judge an image based on the LCD view, unless it's a total mess. So it does what I need.

don't know if that helps but there you have it.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:37 PM   #3

thanks brett ,that answers my questions. what is the lcd like in strong sunshine , im thinking of lcd info

paul
Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:42 PM   #4

Well it is of course a lot harder to see then inside. However, it's much better then my FZ3 was. I would say it's still usable. I almost always use the EVF so I may not be the best judge on this.

-Brett
Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:02 PM   #5

thanks for the answer to the last question, i see you use the evf mostly, when you display info is it very small or does it dominate the view finder in any way.

paul
Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:08 PM   #6

paul-b wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the answer to the last question, i see you use the evf mostly, when you display info is it very small or does it dominate the view finder in any way.

paul
I think it has a nice balance. You can see a lot of info but it doesn't get in the way of setting up your shot. Some of the detailed reviews have images so you can see the data overlay. You have several settings to choose from. Anything from no additional data to a screen very full of it. Try stopping at Best Buy or Circuit City and play with one of the FZxx, the all have similar options.

-Brett
Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:25 PM   #7

thanks for answering all my questions, i dont think i will try Best Buy or Circuit City as they seem to be in the USA and i am in scotland, but thanks for the recomerdation.

i have seen in some posts, references to TCON17+RDS , any idea what this is and is it usefull.

paul
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:08 AM   #8

I'm about to give my order nowadays.. Here is a question about the LCD screen: (especially for you Brett)

I wonder if the LCD is easiliy scratched. From the pictures, it seems like big, but flat and unprotected to outer damages. Should I buy a screen protector? Are they handy?

Thanx
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:08 AM   #9

iason wrote:
Quote:
I'm about to give my order nowadays.. Here is a question about the LCD screen: (especially for you Brett)

I wonder if the LCD is easiliy scratched. From the pictures, it seems like big, but flat and unprotected to outer damages. Should I buy a screen protector? Are they handy?

Thanx
I never scratched my FZ3 screen and I don't see how I would scratch the FZ7 one either. I am very careful in how I pack things in my bags and I don't plan on dropping or rolling the camera around on the ground. If you have had any problems with this in the past you may want to put a protector on it, because it does "dominate" the back of the camera.

I have noticed that I frequently smudge the screen, but that is easily cleaned off. Screen protectors for PDA's change the visual clarity of the screen, if that holds true for the ones made for cameras then you may not like it. I may also impact the high angle mode and the high power mode if it's not optically clear.

Hope some of that helps.

-Brett

P.S. Paul, the TCON17 is a 1.7x telephoto lens and I think the RDS is a "red dot sight", laser. I don't really see the point of an RDS but several seem to be using them for birding pics. The TCON17 is an excellent lens but will require a 52-55mm step ring or a replacement lens mount adapter as the stock unit is 52mm.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:25 PM   #10

Many thanks Brett for the explanation of Tcon 17+RDS, it answered a lot of questions in one go.

paul