Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:15 AM   #1

Okay, uploaded some video clips from the DMC-FX01 which I purchased yesterday from BestBuy (thanks to fmoore who posted a couple of days ago indicating they were in stock.... Panasonic direct sales insn't expecting to deliver until late April, so don't know how Best Buy pulled that off!!):

1) Distance video from deck of NYC apt, 848x480 hand-held with OIS active. 10 seconds, 15.3mb Video File 1

2) same distance video from deck of NYC apt, 848x480 at full zoom (3.6x) hand-held with OIS active. 10 seconds, 15.1mb Video File 2

3) close-range video on deck, 848x480 hand-held while walking with OIS active. 18 seconds, 28.5m Video File 3

I've been VERY impressed with the video compared to any of the samples I've downloaded and viewed from Steve's review samples for ultra-compact cameras. On the photo side of things, I have been benchmarking it against my other digital camera, the Canon PowerShot S500, and while the versatility is great with the wide angle capability, I have observed a slightly more noise in the photos relative to the PowerShot (which has really excellent quality). Also, the "high sensitivity" mode (ISO800-1600) is not that appealing, as it takes fast shots of fast moving objects in low light (I tested on my 2 year old in the evening), the resolution takes a really big hit and so in my view not very usable output. I'm sure the new Fuji F30 will be a better choice for the low light with full resolution shots up to ISO2300. However, since I value the video (esp widescreen video) as well as very capable stills, this camera appears to have a nice balance.

silverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:32 PM   #2

Thanks for the samples. I'm not into the video aspects but I don't see any big problem. Looking forward to some still shots and a direct comparison with the fuji f10. Are you still planning to do that?

Here are some pros and cons from an FX01 user at dpreview. Comments?

%% Panasonic Lumix FX01 %%

advantages:
-wide angle lens
-image stabilizer = warm low-light images
-60 sec long-exposure
-shutter speed, iso info with each shot
-sturdier LCD
-155g
-long battery life

cons:
-purple/yellow lattice, in walls and skin esp.
-double-image on bright details at full zoom
-grainy, ugly at full zoom with flash at ~10 feet
-movie mode shows purple/yellow on walls
-movie mode not quite movie quality

-28mm makes for nauseating motion in movies; annoying to have to change it every time

-smeary details, e.g. pine trees
-smearing in periphery of image at full zoom in good light
-thicker body, 24mm
-on/off switch (vs. button)
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:12 PM   #3

Should be receiving the V10 on mon or tues (not F10, although F30 is the one I really am interested in from Fuji and the F10 as you point out is probably a better comparison, but I was selecting amongst the ultra-compacts). In terms of the the reviewer's comments on the video, this is hands-down the best video I've experienced with a digital camera (only have experience with compact and ultra compact). The widescreen mode is great, and I've had wonderful results, especially indoors, and it does a great job at 28mm with the higher motion scenes I've been capturing. Also surprisingly good in lower light scenes (really brightens up the image nicely). My only disappointment with the video function is that the audio recording is of lower quality and clarity - sounds muffled and quiet compared to the Canon S500.

As for the photos, had a cloudy day today here and so hoping to get some shots in the sunshine next couple of days. Having taken lots of photo's so far though, my overall impression is "good" but not "excellent". It lacks the crisp detail and accuracy I have observed consistently and really like with the Canon S500 (which I'm sure the SD600 has improved upon even further). I haven't observed the purple/yellow affect, but I have noticed significant noise and graininess when taking shots with the flash on full 3.6x zoom (it's pretty bad). I just took a couple comparison photos with the Canon at 3x zoom using flash, and zero noise or graininess on the same shot.

So, all-in-all, while I love the widescreen video capability I'm hoping the outdoor photo quality is strong which would allow me to rationalize my way into keeping the camera as my "2 in 1" solution, as the nightime photos with flash aren't so hot.... but not sure I'm going to get there. will post some side-by-sides vs the Fuji and Canon over the next few days.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:45 AM   #4

Okay, I see the fuji V10 now. Very small indeed and will be interested in it's low light iso capabilites but, as mentioned before, the FX01 28mm wa is a priority. The FX01 weak flash has been commented on by reviewers. I do wish it was more powerful. Oh well, you can't have everything.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:55 PM   #5

Okay, I uploaded a small set of sample outdoor photos so you can get a feel for the daytime capabilities. Most of the photos done at the 28mm setting, so you can see a slight amount of distortion around the edges of the photos. The wide-angle is a wonderful feature, but I wouldn't want to always be shooting with it given the modest distortion and I'm not sure other than zooming in a little how to avoid it (which is something you'd have to get used to since it defaults to the 28mm wide setting).

SamplePhotos
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:31 AM   #6

What's with the horrible scratchy sound in the video? Does anyone else hear that?

-vissa
vissa is offline   Reply With Quote