Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 15, 2006, 1:01 AM   #1

not my problem but told this person Id see if I could find out the problem.

quoted

"ok, so i have a Lumix (Panasonic DMC-LZ2) and i have just recently bought a kodak sd memory card and just the other day i went to take pictures and it said: memory card error format this card? yes no. i hit no and it asked again so i hit yes and then it went back to normal for a few minutes and then i tried to take a picture and it came back. what do i do. i had a lot of pictures on the card but it keeps saying to format it and i keep hitting yes and no and nothing happens. i cant even go to the menu. WHAT DO I DO!?"
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:33 AM   #2

Start by taking it out of the camera and into a card reader, and see if you can manipulate the files in any way with whatever software you have in your computer.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:44 AM   #3

told him that, he has not got back to me as I dont get the impression he has a card reader
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:00 AM   #4

how big is this SD card. If it is bigger that 1GB maybe this is the problem
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:23 AM   #5

why??
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:50 AM   #6

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
why??
SD cards are not "designed" for more than 1GB
check this
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0603/06...nic4gbsdhc.asp
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:02 AM   #7

You read about 1/2 the statement...2 gb cards work fine in the FZ cameras.

But I wish the camera came with a card reader...it just makes no sense to me to use a 500 dollar camera to do the job of a 5 dollar card reader.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:11 AM   #8

genece wrote:
Quote:
You read about 1/2 the statement...2 gb cards work fine in the FZ cameras.

But I wish the camera came with a card reader...it just makes no sense to me to use a 500 dollar camera to do the job of a 5 dollar card reader.
Yes 2 GB SHOUD work fine with FZ but maybe it depends on the manifacture. In the manual of FZ20 is written that it suports up to 1GB (maybe because at this time 2GB does not exist). Anyway - the manual of the LZ2 must be checked for this issue.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:33 PM   #9

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
told him that, he has not got back to me as I dont get the impression he has a card reader
Tell that rascal to go get one. Being able to access all the power in your computer without risking any foulups in your cameras's software is a very desireable thing. There is a ton of software file manipulation possible via card reader/computer. As Gene says, it makes no sense to not use this resource, and risk possible camera complication. If there is something haywire, and there obviously is, don't risk compounding the problem. Tell him to just go get a card and start the problem solving with his computer. (He does have one I hope...a computer, I mean?) Other than that advice....there's nothing more I can think of. Good luck, Julie. Best regards,

Kd

I just re read the first post. If the camera won't even go back to the main menu, perhaps it's not the card. I'd remove the batteries, clean all the contacts, both on the batteries and the camera, leave the batteries out for an hour, check the charge on the batteries, and then try again. First without the card, then with.
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:51 PM   #10

thanks for that, will let him know