Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:00 AM   #1

Hello all people..

I know, you people fed up with those "which one?" questions, nor "what you think?" replies. But I, also fed up with my old Canon A60, want to promote to a higher class one.

I used these forums a lot, while in my A60 choice, and I was not disappointed at all but totally satisfied. Actually I loved my A60 and learned many things on it, now it's time to pass thru a much-camera-like one. And Panasonic Z7 is my main goal now.

I looked all to forum, but still I have some unreplied questions on my mind:

- Does this so-called "noise" problem really matter?? I was completely satisfied with the image quality of my Canon, so at least I expect a similar high quality.
- Where do you put it if you compare with Canon S2 and Sony H1 (Thanks Steve, you compared two of'em but without Z7 )
- I'd be glad if Z7 users can inform me about the battery drain time. IMHO, dedicated batts are worse than usual AAs.
But hey, in Turkey we say "if you love roses, you should bear the thorns"
- Pros, cons.. Just briefly is enough..

Actually I don't want to ask you if you recommend this cam or not.. I want you to persuade me to buy this one :idea:

Thanks in advance for your precious time, cheers from Istanbul.
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:22 AM   #2

I do not habe FZ7 (but have FZ5 and FZ20) so...

in low light the noise is problem (not a big but a problem).
FZ7 is better than S2 or H1

I had Canon A80 but i brokes and this was the reason i buy FZ20 - and NOW I am so happy that my A80 had broke

sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:27 AM   #3

iason,

I'll try to cover the four questions you have listed. I own an FZ7 and had an FZ3 before that.

1) Noise, or what there is of it does not bother me. I think you would be very happy moving from your canon to the FZ7

2) I would say the camera and noise level is at least as good as the two listed if not better, better in my opinion.

3) Battery life is no problem, hundreds of pics per charge. I would rather have two small light battery packs then eight AA any day!! A good set of AA rechargeable will cost about the same as a second battery for the FZ7.

4)Pros - all the ones noted in the reviews. Cons - I can't complain, really!

I would not want any other camera, that's why I bought the FZ7.

Hope that helps.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 1:32 PM   #4

I have an FZ5 and a Canon A70. The FZ5 outperforms the A70 across the board as will the S2 andthe H1. If you have grown used to the "Canon color" (image quality, color rendition, etc) you may find the FZsomewhat noisy -the reason being that Panasonic does not use as much in-camera noise reduction as Canon does. The result is greater detail with the FZ's. At iso80, where I take over 90% of my shots, noise is not an issue anyway. I prefer the Leica lens color rendition to the Canon.

I also prefer the Panasonic battery over AA's because of size and weight. Thismakesfor a smaller, lighter camera overall. An extra battery is not expensive. Battery life is about 250 shots per full charge. The FZ7 may get even more.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 1:42 PM   #5

I've never used either the Canon or the Sony. I've had the FZ20 for about 15 months and have really enjoyed it. It's a nice camera to grow with until you're ready for a DSLR - I suspect the other FZ's will be too.

Evie
http://stray-thoughts--ruminations.blogspot.com
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:23 PM   #6

Thanx all,

These are kind of answers I really appreciate and like to hear!

@sunstorage; actually I do not prefer my A60 to be broken :-), yet it's still handy for daily use, i.e parties, going outs, football games etc.. It never let me down, and it's my "first" one that always has a special place.

@bmmccoy; (Brett)it was obvious to hear good news from you about Z7, after seeing your photographs on the forum. They are awesome! I must confess, I almost decide to buy a Z7 after I saw your photographs. But in anyway, it's much better to hear those from a intensive user directly. Really helped. (specific question for you: How is the cam's interface? User friendly? Easy to control?)

@fmoore; (Fred), Leica lens is the main issue on my decision for this digicam. Why I really consider about "noise" is because I like night-shots very much. I do not want to have too much noise on my night photos, or at least not much to disturb. What do you think about the night shots of Pana Z series? (About batts, maybe you are right, but I don't trust in my chance so I should always keep a second spare batts with me)

@LadyhawkVA; (Evie) I hopeone day I could be agood amateur photographer who is even brave to afford a DSLR :-).. Just kidding. But in fact, in my opinion, with today's high technology, such still-cameras like Z7 do not deserve their name, "still", but more as they are much alike DSLR's quality.

Thank you all again for your kind replies.

Mert-
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:17 PM   #7

iason wrote:
Quote:
I like night-shots very much. I do not want to have too much noise on my night photos, or at least not much to disturb. What do you think about the night shots of Pana Z series?
Mert - It depends onyour subject matter. Shots of people at a party in low light are pretty noisy and don't come out too well, IMO. Scene's such as below do come out rather nicely. There is some noise here but it's mostly mist. More at http://www.ishots.net/mistynight/

FZ5 at 1x; 1/4s and iso200, handheld

I certainly would recommend an extra battery. I don't know how ebay is in Turkey, but I got a couple of extra batteries from Hong Kong for about $10US each and they work fine.

Fred
Old Mar 16, 2006, 3:51 AM   #8

Quote:
There is some noise here but it's mostly mist. More at http://www.ishots.net/mistynight
Wow..:O These ones certainly outperform my photography. Especially, the one above is fabulous.

What I mean with "night shot" is usually such compositions as below (actually not a composition, but only a capture of a view) This one was taken with A60, I know it's a bit blurry since it was taken handheld -and A60 has not got OIS- but apart from that, it's not so bad for me with regards to noise issue.

After I saw your examples, I'm almost sure about the result with Z7 will absolutely oversatisfy me.

-Mert
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:14 AM   #9

Yes, the fz7 will certainly capture shots like that with no problem. Don't plan on using the zoom much for night shots, however. For one thing, it closes the aperture some and higher zoom requires alot more light and just adds to the noise. Best to stick to wa or add a bit of zoom (maybe to 1.5x at most)to reduce barrel distortion, which is usually not going to be a factor anyway.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:39 AM   #10

iason wrote:
Quote:
@bmmccoy; (Brett)it was obvious to hear good news from you about Z7, after seeing your photographs on the forum. They are awesome! I must confess, I almost decide to buy a Z7 after I saw your photographs. But in anyway, it's much better to hear those from a intensive user directly. Really helped. (specific question for you: How is the cam's interface? User friendly? Easy to control?)

Thank you all again for your kind replies.

Mert-
Mert,

Yes the interface is very easy to use. But that is true of all panasonics. They use the same basic menu system, and I think it is much easier then some others out there. Canon is good on the menu but I think panny is even easier. Some of the added features on the FZ7, like the Joystick make it even better then my FZ3 was.

As Fred showed, night photos are no problem. In fact the review of the FZ7 @ dcresource ( http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml)said it was one of the best ever on that test.

I hope you get one!

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote