Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1

Came across this post by Sean Reid over a the Leica forum regards how much input Leica puts into the Leica branded lenses on the L1, LC1/D2 28-90 Summicron and I'm assuming all other Leica branded lenses in the Pana range:

http://www.leica-camera.com/discus_e...tml?1142546291

Quote from Sean's post:

"Hi LCT,

It comes directly from discussions I had during a meeting with Leica at PMA. I'll have more official information coming up and will include it in an article. But, Leica is the primary designer of that 4/3 lens, of the lens on the D2, etc. It's not just a matter of them approving a Panasonic design, they're actually doing the optical design work themselves. Of course, there's collaboration but Panasonic contributes primarily from its skill with technology and Leica from their skill with optics. Panasonic, of course, does the actual manufacturing. "

Cheers

HarjTT
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:21 PM   #2

:?Erm.. I got even more confused after reading this Leica forum. I always believe that these Lumix with Leica lenses are outstanding synergy of Panasonic's electronic technology and Leica's superb effort in optical lenses.

Actually I do not care about the brand-name but the outcoming quality, however, after reading these I wonder if this Leica brand on Lumix is just a commercial strategy?
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:52 PM   #3

Hi Iason

From Sean's quote its basically this:

All of the lenses on Panasonic cam's branded "Leica" have been designed by Leica with Pana providing the IS, electrical and manufacturing expertise and facilities for the lenses and camera bodies. There's been many a thread over the last couple of years on how much input was being provided by Leica in the optical design of the lenses in the FZ's & LC1/D2/LX. It had been assumed that the lenses in the FZ's/LC1/D2/LX were designed by Pana to Leica specs and tolerances and rubber stamped . This to me clearly points out that is not the case - our Floozi's do have Leica designed glass or more correctly panaleica glass.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:33 PM   #4

It's now much clarified, thanxHarjTT,

So that simplymeans;

A Panasonic Lumix Camera (for said series) is composed of

- Panasonic electronic technology (chasis, CCD Sensor and all electronic base which Pana experts)

Plus,

- Leica Optical Lens technology (whole lens system provided by Leica which Leica experts)

So the general assumption in my mind is almost correct. As said, imo, this co-operation brought, no doubt,a decent success to digital camera and photography world.

Mert-
iason is offline   Reply With Quote