Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 18, 2006, 4:49 PM   #1

Since it's pretty windy and chilly here today I've been stuck indoors. These are two photos that I took earlier today.

First one: Shades of Blue

Camera = FZ20
Settings:
Aperture priority
aperture = 8.0
shutter = 1/4 sec.
focus = 115mm
ISO = 80

I also boosted my contrast, sharpness and saturation levels (first time I've tried that)

Evie
http://stray-thoughts--ruminations.blogspot.com
Attached Images

LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2006, 4:52 PM   #2

Second one: Green Water

Camera = FZ20
Settings
aperture priority
aperture = 4.0
shutter = 1/60 sec.
focus = 76mm
ISO = 100

contrast, sharpness, saturation at normal settings

I've really got to get a close-up lens! Well, my birthday's coming up in a few weeks, maybe I'll treat myself!
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2006, 5:03 PM   #3

I really like these shots and the ones you posted the other day, thankyou!

One question tho, were they taken in a pretty dark room, I ask as they appear quite noisy for iso 80? Have you tried putting them through neat image?
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 5:11 PM   #4

I guess the lighting was pretty average. I need to figure out a good lighting setup. I know I used flash on the second one. I did some noise reduction and unsharp masking in Microsoft Digital Image Pro. Perhaps I should have done some more noise reduction after I reduced the sizes and re-sharpened them for posting.

The first one may be noisy because the CD surface was a little bit dusty. I wiped it down but I still wasn't satisfied that is was in pristine condition. The second one may be a bit noisy because the water was in motion.

I think a close-up lens will help me in getting more detail and better compositions right off the bat. If they're a bit noisy it may be because I had to crop them a fair bit to get these compositions. When I get a close-up lens I won't need to crop so much.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 5:16 PM   #5

Thankyou, the first one has some exceptional rich colours, are they simply water drops on a.......is it a CD? How did you get the lighting, did you have a certain lamp or just normal room lighting, would like to try something similar with my 6T.

Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 5:22 PM   #6

In addition to the overhead lighting in my dining room, I had a couple of desk lamps reflecting off a white piece of cardboard. The thing I find difficult with these photos is getting enough light to capture details while avoiding large blown-out areas from light and flash reflections. When the lamps are shining right on the water the highlights are outrageous. That's been alleviated with the reflector.

I'm sure you could do really well with these sorts of photos with your 6T. I was all set to buy a 6T when B&H informed me that the lens has been discontinued. I guess I'll have to get the Olympus lens.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 5:26 PM   #7

Those shots are excellent, especially the first one. Really beautiful colours. I look forward to seeing more when you have a close up lens!

Matt
matt_xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:34 AM   #8

I love the first shot! Great clarity and sharpness. NICE
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 8:19 AM   #9

Nice captures, I like the first shot the best, however the second is also unique.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote