Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:06 AM   #21

Hey digicam fan! How are you? "Visionary" - doubtful. Lots of folks are picking these things up - mainly because they're cheap and take great pics. They're much better in low light, no PC or software required, batteries can last years, and the cameras last for decades.

My HD got wiped out (actually two of them) so all my cookies went, and I forgot my log-in, so I just set up a new account, hence the new handle : )

Hope you've been well,

Nick
NickTrop_redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:47 PM   #22

Hey Nick,

Good to see you around. I see Willow is back on and I see an occasional Nooner post in the KM forum and Danny (nzmacro) commenting on the new DSLR that is about to hit the market.

Been shooting some but not posting much. I am sure I will when the weather gets better out here in the Midwest.

How about posting a few of your shots?

Take Care,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:58 PM   #23

Hey Nick!!!

How ya been m8t...

Great to read from you again. What have you been up to?

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:24 PM   #24

Nick, it's good to hear from you. I told you last year that you were a troublemaker, because you were making me hear the voices of my old film cameras, calling out to me. That includes my trusty Yashica Lynx 5000, the first "serious" camera I ever owned. I still have it, and I'm tempted.

But I probably won't put it to work again, not until I have a lot more time to burn. My Fuji F10 takes care of low-light candids rather well, and the FZ20 satisfies most of my photographic needs. I've finally reached the point that digital does everything I want it to. (Of course, part of what I'm saying is that I've decided I can live without shallow depth of field. For now.)

Then again, if film and chemicals are still available when I reach retirement age, maybe I'll have another go at it. At least, you've got me thinking about it again. As always, you're an inspiration.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:59 PM   #25

Nick old m8t only 1 thing to say is MAN I HAVE MISSED YOU!!!

And I want 1 of them oldYashica's what a beauty..let me ask,cant you buy a scanner that will let you scan in negatives if some 1 didn't want to develop or have film proceed ? would that be better than scanning prints for printing extra copy's?

wILLOw

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:50 PM   #26

Hi gents! Great to hear from you - tiz a cyber-re-onion.

BobC - been great m8t, how's that "total gym" (or was is bowflex) going, keepin' up with it? Will you be the next action film star?

Robb - Yo buddy. That's a FINE cam... Yeah digital's okay, if you like cameras that cost 10+ times more, last 1/10th as long, run out of batteries in hours as opposed to years, needs a computer and software and other paraphanalia with expensive inks that always run out, only gives you f2.8-f8 apertures, blows out highlights, and no depth of field... (totally kiddin'). That Lynx is a fine camera by the way.
:blah:
I chatted with Nooner too (see post under Panasonic DSLR)!

Hey Tom! Maniholai (...did I get that right?). I have some serious scanin' to do. I'll start scanning and post... You post some too : )

willow1 - Go for it! There's a guy on eBay, Russ, who gussies these up, changes the light seals, gets'em working. If interested PM me and I'll dig up his eBay user name. Also, the classifieds on rangefinderforum.com are supposed to be great. There's a guy named "greyhound" (I think) they all seem to buy from.

Most flatbeds come with an attachment for scanning negatives, and you can import them and print them (like 20 megapixel res...) I've done that, but usually I just have them printed at a pharmacy or photo store.

Great to hear from you all...

Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:28 PM   #27

NickTrop_redux wrote:
Quote:
Yeah digital's okay, if you like cameras that cost 10+ times more, last 1/10th as long, run out of batteries in hours as opposed to years, needs a computer and software and other paraphanalia with expensive inks that always run out, only gives you f2.8-f8 apertures, blows out highlights, and no depth of field... (totally kiddin').
Kidding? There's no need to kid, when what you say is perfectly true! Sooner or later, I want to play with film again, and see if working within the limitations of digital has improved my skills. Meanwhile, I keep reminding myself that a big part of photography (life, too) is doing the most you can with whatever you got.

How would you go about finding someone to refurb vintage
cameras, like my darlin' Yashica?
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:48 AM   #28

Hey Nick!! It is great to know you are still over there!!

We missed you and all your helpful tips. by the way... I never thougth on rangefinder seriously, but you are rigth. They are good cameras, and have alot of advantages, but I'm a technology fan. I still prefer SLR or Digicams.

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:35 AM   #29

Robb wrote:
"How would you go about finding someone to refurb vintage
cameras, like my darlin' Yashica?"
-------------------------------------------------

Robb, my understanding is that there's a guy named "greyhoundman" who has a sterling reputation at http://www.rangefinderforum.com/ . I've never used him but intend to have my Electro CC CLA'd by him soon, and the Lynx 14 (which has an f1.4 lens by the way...) when it arrives. He's supposed to be VERY reasonable and takes paypal.

There's also a guy named Mark Hama who is highly recommended but a bit more expensive than "greyhoundman". Mark Hama worked in the Yashica factory in Japan in the 60's who now restores and repared old cameras, especially Yashicas. (If you click the link, you will see a pic of him working in the Yashica factory in the 60's. Interesting how "hand-made" these cameras seemed to be.) http://www.markhama.com/

I haven't bothered to scan any of my Yashica photos yet. But here's an example I found on pbase:

It's a nice snap taken with the Yashica GSN. It's just a snap, a nice one, but this photo looks different - dare I say technically superior, than any pic posted here?

Notice the depth of field, and how it adds. The subject is isolated against the background, unlike a digicam. This is what a properly exposed photo looks like. Notice there's no blown highlights, this was taken in bright sunlight and the whites are under control, and there's detail in the "hot" areas. Notice the rich colors, and natural optical sharpness coming from the lens, not software manipulation. This photo has the "Yashica" look. For whatever reason, the colors really seem to pop with these cameras. Also notice the "cinematic" look of this photo, as opposed to the prosaic looks of a ccd sensor.

When I can get quality like this from a camera that can give me iso 1000, lasts decades, doesn't require manipulation of "post production" to bring images up to snuff (especially sharpness) with a 1.7-16 lens, that costs $40, I'll go back to using digitals as my primary cameras.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:19 PM   #30

Nice to hear from you Nick, seems like you are having fun with your Yashica finds and surely thats what its all about.

Nice anecdotal story too.

Your right about the Rangefinder optical viewfinder and of course the M* series being so popular in the 50/60/70's.
The need for very long lenses and ultra wide angle lenses made the SLR the future choice and also the emergance of Nikon / Canon / Minolta / Pentax as makers of some of the best optics bar none put the the rangefinder in decline, there is no doubt there is still a use for them the brightness of the viewfinder the compactness and being very quiet is still a virtue.

Post some pics....

John

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote