Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:08 PM   #31

Hey Nick.. looks as if we got a reunion going on ! Now wheres Gaby, Suze and eth rest of the girls ???

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:50 PM   #32

Boyzo, mi old bud. How are you? Full of insights as always. Great to hear from you. You're spot on, as usual. Know what? I have an SLR, an it did result in the decline of the rangefinders. I have about eight lenses. But I mainly use two: f2/90mm Jupiter 9 (Russian Sonar copy) for portraits (15 blade aperture, nice and compact), and the "legendary" (aren't at leat 1/3 of them?) Eastern Zeiss Jen Flektogon 35mm f.2.4 for everything else. (Really is a great lens). All in M42 mount.

Harjtt- you're right. This should be the reunion thread : ) The old gang's all here. Where is Nancy these days? I recall she was going pro. Suze was such a sweetie. From the UK as I recall. You should have given her a shout, Harjtt :G
NickTrop_redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:10 AM   #33

NickTrop_redux wrote:
Quote:
Boyzo, mi old bud. How are you? Full of insights as always. Great to hear from you. You're spot on, as usual. Know what? I have an SLR, an it did result in the decline of the rangefinders. I have about eight lenses. But I mainly use two: f2/90mm Jupiter 9 (Russian Sonar copy) for portraits (15 blade aperture, nice and compact), and the "legendary" (aren't at leat 1/3 of them?) Eastern Zeiss Jen Flektogon 35mm f.2.4 for everything else. (Really is a great lens). All in M42 mount.
Am well Nick doing major garden revisions at home and some exterior house maintenance.
Photography has taken a back seat for the moment.
Planing a trip to CA later this year for quite a while.

With the dearth of SLR lenses around at low prices I had thought of the Pentax ist*D the body can take any Pentax lens from the Takumar range way back to the first spotmatic, only disadvantage is the 4/3 doubles focal length Ok for Tele but a drawback for Wide angle or MAcro lenses.... tempting path.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:26 PM   #34

One more question, Nick. What's your solution to the battery problem? Cameras of this vintage were designed for mercury batteries, which were outlawed decades ago, for environmental reasons. Other batteries don't have the same discharge curve. That was one of the reasons I set my Lynx aside, back in the 80s.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:49 PM   #35

Nick, I traded a tiny German 35mm range finder fold-out bellows fixed, cock the lens darling for a Yashika that I traded for a Spotmatic, then an F and later a AE-1 Programable, probably one of the last consumer metal 35mms. Don't even remember what the fold out was. I remember its low light photos were edible. I still love and miss that little camera the most. Can't even remember its name. A lesson to you whipper snappers, when you got a good one, realize it and keep it (goes for women friends too). Don't take it for granted. The newest and best yet ain't all its craked up to be. Anyway the fold out didn't need no stinking batteries. It didn't have any metering system. You were it, and it worked great. I guess I left out a Topcon and some others, I've forgotten. Doesn't matter, now. I hope someone has that old camera and are using it and appreciate its magic pictures still; but, I doubt it as much as I expect shoe repair shops to make a big come back.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:11 PM   #36

Robb - there are a lot of solutions to the battery issue. The Yashica GSN/GTN has a capacitor and can handle a variance. I used a regular battery I got from Radio Shack initially. It was not as long as the initial battery, so I rolled up a ball of aluminum foil to make up the difference, which worked fine. I then bought an adapter for $12 that the Yashica Guy sells for the GTN that also corrects the slight difference in voltage.

In the case of the Lynx 14, which I got yesterday in the mail, when you have it CLA'd the CLA'r can put a diode in it so it will take the alkaline equiv batteries. I was quoted a price of $35 + shipping from "Greyhoundman" on rangefinderforum.com. This includes a CLA, clean the finder, unstick the shutter, and put in the diode. Can't beat that with a stick.

There are also zinc oxide cells made by Wein, which replace many of the old mercury cells. They're "somewhat" pricey - about $6, and last about 8 months. There's also a Chris adapter but I've never tried it. Others say zinc oxide hearing aid batteries work fine. Some of the newer batteries have slightly higher voltage, so you adjust the iso setting down a bit.

I have three Yashicas. No issues with finding a solution for batteries.

- GSN: (forget which battery but they're readily available) Common battery, + either tin foil or a $12 adapter.
- Electro CC - made to take batteries that are still around
- Lynx, diode being installed during CLA.

Here's some websites that have a ton of information if you're interested in reviving your Lynx:

http://www.photobattery.com/
(Sells all kinds of photo batteries, including replacements for old mercury cells)

http://www.yashica-guy.com/
(Includes battery replacement info...)

http://www.photoethnography.com/equipment.html
(Battery page with solutions/recommendations)

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/
great site, tons of information.

What I would do if you're interested in reviving your Lynx is sign up at rangefinder forum and shoot greyhoundman a private message and ask for a quote. Or, you can wait for me to let you know how it goes. (Though I'm certain it's safe. They all use him for CLAs over there... He's got a nice little side-line going but you can't beat his prices.)

Or, you can look for a good GSN/GTN sample and just get the $12 battery adapter (or roll a little ball of tin foil up... Some folks use a spring...)

Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:25 PM   #37

Tazzie. I have a medium format Agfa folder. No meter, no nothing. I bought an uncoupled rangefinder that hooks into the cold shoe.

Know what? Thing takes beautiful pics. Why? It's medium format. Thing's 50 years old and it blows the latest DSLRS away. That one isn't the greatest in low light because of its slow lens. But outdoors, it's king. Fits right in your pocket. The bellows got leaky, so I bought a can of black scuba diversuit repair goop - $5.00 (actually it's neoprene) and it works a charm.

The rangefinders are making something of a comback though, Tazzie. You're right. They are amazing in low light, compared to the current digicams. I just used the GSN in a chinese restaurant about an hour ago. I took some pics of the kids. No flash. 400 speed film at about f2, 1/30 sec shutter speed. That extra stop means a lot.

Like I said. If you prefer digital, keep your Panny for its zoom and IS. But instead of "moving up to a DSLR" because of its "low light capabilities", and parting with $1000 (let's face it, you're gonna spend that much on lenses and other crap for a DSLR)...

... a far less expensive solution is to get a good sample of a 60's-70's rangefinder for candids and abient light shooting.

PS. The high speed films today are VERY good. Fuji Superia 800, very nice, cheap and available. Even Fuji's 1600 speed is good, imo, for its speed. There are tons of 400 speed films, most are outstanding.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:09 PM   #38
Administrator

Hey Nick... Good to see you posting. But, your lenses are brighter than you think. ;-)

NickTrop_redux wrote:
Quote:
Finally, on its way, for $19.50 is the Yashica Lynx 14. This camera's claim to fame it its f1.4 45mm lens. This lens lets in 2x as much light as the f2.8 on the Panasonics and has is fully manual, unlike the other Yashicas.
4 times as much light (you're gaining 2 stops).

f/1.4 is twice as bright as f/2 (1 stop down from f/1.4) and 4 times as bright as f/2.8 (two stops down from f/1.4)

Quote:
An F1.7 lens lets in 75% more light than F2.8,...
f/1.7 is 1.5 stops wider than f/2.8 , making it 3 times as bright.

http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:17 PM   #39

Yes, you're right Jim. I teach a college math courses too. (hangs head in shame...) Thanks a bunch.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:31 PM   #40
Administrator

I'd love to have an f/1.4 lens when out and about. I've been shooting with a KM 5D lately, and sometimes my Minolta 28mm f/2 isn't bright enough, even with ISO 3200 and Anti-shake. lol

Sigma recently announced that it will be producing their 30mm f/1.4 DC lens in Minolta mount, so it's one to consider. A 50mm f/1.4 would be a bit longer than I want and the Minolta 35mm f/1.G is pricey.

I've got a feeling that this Sigma will be selling for more than the $19.50 you paid for your Yashica Lynx 14.wearing a 45mm f/1.4, though. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote