Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:03 PM   #1

When I use my FZ30 in bad lighting situations, in the M mode, and half press the shutter to focus on the object, my display turns dark. The display shows the picture how it would have been if I wouldn't use the flash.

The FZ30 is focusing allright in this situation, but I prefer to first halfpress (let the camera focus) and later full press the shutter when I think it's time to take the picture. But now I can't see the object in bad lighting situation because the display turns black. Is there a way to keep the object in sight, or should I just use the the "A" or "S" mode because then I don't have this problem, and also in Auto mode the display stays clear when I half press the shutter. Or should I use the MF in "M" mode?

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:11 AM   #2

You should have tried this on the FZ20 when there was no work around, you already know the work around.

There is one other way to increase the shutter speed set the exposure comp to a minus figure and the speed goes up without harming the photo.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Genece, but I don't really understand what you're saying. What do you mean with exposure comp.? And how is it stopping turning the display turn dark/black when I'm focussing in the M mode?

Thanks!

Rudo
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:55 PM   #4

You are correct it will not help in M mode....but I guess I assumed you were in Manual to get a faster shutterspeed and that can be done in program mode with the exposure comp..... -1 will give you 1/60 sec and -2 will give 1/125.

My solution may have nothing to do with your needs.....Sorry.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:38 PM   #5

I don't know how much you do or don't know about operating the camera, so I'll just run through the basics. If you're unfamiliar with these kinds of camera functions this should help, but if you are familiar, it may just be that you're overlooking one detail.

The reason your display goes dark is that you have your shutter speed set too fast and/or your F-stop too high. When you half depress the button, it is giving you an approximation of the exposure at your current settings. With A mode (aperture priority) it will automatically set the shutter speed slower to compensate. S mode (shutter priority) will open up the aperture to compensate. In M mode (manual), you need to set these manually.

Set your aperture as low as possible by turning the knob at the front of the hand grip. This opens the aperture all the way. Zoom all the way out to get it to 2.8.

Set your shutter speed by turning the knob by your right thumb to 1/13. Make sure mode 2 stabilization is on.

Half press the button now and see what it looks like. While the button is half pressed, you can turn the knobs and see your preview update in real time. Get it to where it looks good and then take your picture. If it's a bit bright, speed up the shutter, especially if you're photographing people. If it's dark, you can slow the shutter more but risk getting blurrier images from hand shake and/or subject motion. You can turn up the ISO to brighten the picture, but I don't recommend going higher than 200.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:02 AM   #6

Thanks Corpsy for the explaination, but I the shutterspeed is not the problem. Yes you are right, the display functions better at you setting. But when I use the flash, shutter speed shouldn't be set at 1/13.

In poor light conditions, I'll just use the A mode, because then the object doesn't turn black and I can follow it.

Thank you both for the replies!

Rudo