Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:40 PM   #1

was out and about today, looking for stuff to shoot, and found on an overpass that affords a view across the floating bridge toward Seattle. this is a fairly common shot on traffic cams in the area. the bridge drops down to a floating span, then on the far side, rises up again onto stilts before coming ashore. the Olympic Mountains in the background are about 125 miles away in this shot.

i know a polarizer would have helped, but i'd left my bag at home, and just had my FZ and TCON-14B with me...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:00 AM   #2

Nice, squirl. That is a terrific view. Love the background provided by the mountains. And the bridge is rather unique.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"were you on the roadside or in the vehicle moving?
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:59 AM   #3

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
were you on the roadside or in the vehicle moving?
i was on an overpass above the freeway.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:44 AM   #4

Great shot. Hard to believe the mountains were so far away.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:59 AM   #5

Nice visual metaphor on the Piece of Quiet in the mountains versus the cacaphony*** of the modern world.

(***interesting word if you hyphenate it between second and third syllables! :idea:

The mountains in the background, The Olympic Mountains, are an awesome place to visit! I have lots of great memories of travels to and in them :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:32 AM   #6

cacophony indeed... and this wasn't even rush hour! on weekday mornings, the cars are bumper to bumper across this bridge, both directions.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:13 AM   #7

Really nice shot, lots of interesting aspects. So this bridge r e a l l y floats????? WOW. That is amazing... It must be anchored, right? Cuz, I'd be driving to werk in the morning, screech to a halt, get out and scratch my head...mutter to myself....wha....?? Oh there it is...floated over there this time.... never mind getting off the thing. Ya find out that between the time ya got on and drove to the end it's away down the lake or river or whatever...hah ha...:lol: (Us retired guys we think differently..."outside" the box...) (I'm out on a three day pass from the rubber room.) Keep up the good work...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:28 AM   #8

Why does this bridge need a floating span?
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:59 AM   #9

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
Why does this bridge need a floating span?
because the lake is several hundred feet deep, and the "hard bottom" is a good deal deeper than that, and sinking pilings to mount the bridge on was simply not practical. it floats on pontoons, and they close it if the wind exceeds 50mph because of overspray and possible damage to the bridge. it's about at the end of its useful life, and the local tax collectors (politicians) are all trying to figure out how to replace it before it sinks or something equally catastrophic. we had another bridge across the same lake fail a few years ago, and several sections of the floating span are still lying at the bottom of the lake...
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:13 PM   #10

You can see my house in that picture :-D. Well, you could if it were larger
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote