Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:43 PM   #1

I have been curious about the "Motion Image" feature on these Panasonic cameras, however I'm trying to get a sense of the compression rates of the movies.

All of Panasonic's literature simply states "Maximum recording time depends on SD Card capacity." No Kidding!? That statement is incredibly unhelpful and describes just about everything in computer life.

I'm trying to get a sense of how long you could record at 640x480, 30fps with audio on a 1GB card.

What I'm really wondering is if I were to wait and buy the TZ1 when it comes out, could I actually use it as a dedicated video camera, or is it pretty much just going to do in a pinch?

Thanks.
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:40 PM   #2

SilentBob wrote:
Quote:
I'm trying to get a sense of how long you could record at 640x480, 30fps with audio on a 1GB card.
The fz5 motion image records at 320x240. At 30fps a 512mb card will hold 1021 seconds or about 17 minutes depending on the amount of detail. Since 640x480 takes up 4x the space of 320x240, a 512mb card would hold about 4 minutesat 640x480. Therefore, a 1g card would last about 8-10 minutes at 30fps of 640x480.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the info....that definitely wouldn't suffice as a dedicated video camera...it would be nice if Panasonic would provide some sort of meaningful frame of reference like that.
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote