Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:20 PM   #1

I finally jumped on the 6600 over the weekend. I ordered it and it should be shipping tomorrow. I hope to have it by the end of the week. I know several have been wanting to see test images of the FZ7 with the 6600 so I will do my best to provide some as quickly as I can. If there are any special requests or suggestions on what testing to do let me know and I'll try to accommodate as many as I can.

I plan to do the following first.
  1. Image of uniform color @ 1x zoom- blue sky if weather permitting [/*]
  2. Image of brick wall @ 1x zoom [/*]
  3. Image of brick wall @ 4x zoom[/*]
These will all be done with the stock unmodified 52mm adapter in place and if possible maybe even with the UV filter in between, but I'm assuming I'll need to mount the lens directly to get the best performance.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:16 AM   #2

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
I finally jumped on the 6600 over the weekend. I ordered it and it should be shipping tomorrow. I hope to have it by the end of the week. I know several have been wanting to see test images of the FZ7 with the 6600 so I will do my best to provide some as quickly as I can. If there are any special requests or suggestions on what testing to do let me know and I'll try to accommodate as many as I can.

I plan to do the following first.
  1. Image of uniform color @ 1x zoom- blue sky if weather permitting [/*]
  2. Image of brick wall @ 1x zoom [/*]
  3. Image of brick wall @ 4x zoom[/*]
These will all be done with the stock unmodified 52mm adapter in place and if possible maybe even with the UV filter in between, but I'm assuming I'll need to mount the lens directly to get the best performance.

-Brett
I wish you good luck and look forward to the results. Please post them in the same thread.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:43 AM   #3

Sorry, this will be off-topic but..

Brett, which case are you using for your FZ7, the geniune Panasonic one or any unofficial brand (like Lowepro)

The geniune ones (both hard and soft cases) are a bit expensive though, I'll prefer them if they are much more suitable to use with.

Thanx,

Mert
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:12 AM   #4

iason wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, this will be off-topic but..

Brett, which case are you using for your FZ7, the geniune Panasonic one or any unofficial brand (like Lowepro)

The geniune ones (both hard and soft cases) are a bit expensive though, I'll prefer them if they are much more suitable to use with.

Thanx,

Mert
Hi Mert,

My old hard side Lumix brand case for the FZ3 does not hold the FZ7 with the adapter in place so I have most of my stuff in a smallish Lowepro Nova 1 case that was my former SLR case. I have the FZ7, all accessories that came with the camera, two teleconverter lenses, some filters, memory cards and my macro set in it. It's very full!
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:56 AM   #5

Lovelife ...are you still working on a FZ7 adapter?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:07 AM   #6

Brett - Looking forward to your wa pics.Having the uv filter on will mostly result in vignetting. You may get some even straight to the adapter. If so, a little plastic removasl with sandpaper might help. Take some shots with tree branches in the corners to demonstrate degree of corner degradation and ca. A good test is to stitch a 2 shot pano to see how obvious the seam is in the middle.

Mert - I use a standard fanny/waist pack to store and carry all my fz5 stuff; dcr6600, ricoh tc200m, various macro lens, polarizer, nd filter, star filter, step rings, batteries, cards, and fz5 with adapter and uv filter.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:24 AM   #7

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Brett - Looking forward to your wa pics.Having the uv filter on will mostly result in vignetting. You may get some even straight to the adapter. If so, a little plastic removasl with sandpaper might help. Take some shots with tree branches in the corners to demonstrate degree of corner degradation and ca. A good test is to stitch a 2 shot pano to see how obvious the seam is in the middle.
Fred,

I'm not holding high hopes it will work with the UV filter in place but I've got to try it that way. I am hoping very much that the stock adapter will work without modification. Not that sanding a little off is a big deal I just know that many would find that uncomfortable. Also the soon to be released pemaraal adapter may be just the ticket for all my converter lens needs. I have however been very pleased with how sturdy the stock unit is in use.

I'll try to make sure I get a sample with the trees in the corners.

-Brett
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:51 AM   #8

genece wrote:
Quote:
Lovelife ...are you still working on a FZ7 adapter?
Yes, It will be a FZ7 CRing I expect to be testing in 2 weeks. With stock is 3 weeks. It will support 43, 52, 55, 58 and 62mm just like the FZ20 CRing.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:05 AM   #9

Hi All,

I got the DCR today. All I can offer is a really poor single color test. But it does reveal the DCR-6600 produces a slight vignette on the left side with the stock adapter. As Fred predicted keeping the UV filter increases it to vignette in all corners. All I have done is resize the image and adjust the levels to get it a little closer to white. This was in poor light late this evening in the kitchen, I was about six inches away from the refrigerator. I'll do my best to get something more useful tomorrow but the weather may not be very helpful.

-Brett
Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:10 AM   #10

Brett - That amount of vignetting is almost negligible. Just a wee bit of sanding should remove it completely. Or get the 52mm pemaraal fz7 adapter which is 1mm (?) shorter than the stock plastic adapter.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote