Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:30 AM   #11

stevetracey wrote:
Quote:
I am now thinking of changing it for the FZ30, seeing there doesn't seem to be any announcement of a FZ40. But is it really worth it?

Being that you already have an FZ20, the ball is in your court. You can afford to wait. It's not like you don't have a camera now and want to take pictures. It's different for people like me who don't have a digicam, unless you count mycamcorder. Since I don't have a didgicam, I don't want to wait to find out. I want an FZ30 now and will purchase real soon. Truthfully, after all the reading I have done here and elsewhere, I don't see an FZ40 coming out soon. Of course I could be wrong.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:30 AM   #12

stevetracey wrote:
Quote:
I am now thinking of changing it for the FZ30, seeing there doesn't seem to be any announcement of a FZ40. But is it really worth it?

Being that you already have an FZ20, the ball is in your court. You can afford to wait. It's not like you don't have a camera now and want to take pictures. It's different for people like me who don't have a digicam, unless you count mycamcorder. Since I don't have a didgicam, I don't want to wait to find out. I want an FZ30 now and will purchase real soon. Truthfully, after all the reading I have done here and elsewhere, I don't see an FZ40 coming out soon. Of course I could be wrong.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:30 AM   #13

stevetracey wrote:
Quote:

Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:06 AM   #14

The FZ30 to me is a great disappointment it has many sexy features but the most important aspect reliable image quality got lost along the way. In an effort to continue the MP War Panasonic has loaded the new CCD with smaller pixels, which contribute to excessive noise. The solution is to ramp up the onboard noise suppression software which reduces image quality. Couple that with by my last estimate a 10% focus failure rate give an unpleasant picture. I am on my third FZ30 the first one would inexplicably freeze up when I depressed the shutter. The second had particles inside the lens and the new one does not display 3:2 images correctly on the EVF. When I push the focus button on the camera the Image displayed is soft. Use the manual focus ring to tune in the sharpness and the resulting image is poor. Leave the soft EVF image alone and you have a better chance of getting a good exposure. I do not use 3:2 any more.

I still have my FZ10 because it is a much better available light camera and quicker to grab candids with.

FZ40 where are you?
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:14 AM   #15

love life, have you checked the diopter on your evf? that could be a reason for the soft evf view
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:39 AM   #16

It really depends on your needs.

I think the best feature the FZ30 has is the swiveling LCD screen. I've had my Canon A80 for a while now, and I know that the rotating LCD screen has provided me w. a lot of creative photo opportunities.

Candid st. shooting, macro shooting, overhead shooting. From the ground shots, self portraits..

If you don't do these kind of stuff..then you should keep your FZ20.
And anyhow..do you know how rare it is to for a superzoom camera to have f2.8 all ACROSS the range?
That wider aperture is great for bokeh.

dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:48 AM   #17

Thanks for all your replys, its be very helpful.

I think I will keep hold of the FZ20 and carry on enjoying and experimenting with it.

I'll sit and wait a year and see what else is in the pipeline.

Again many thanks to you all. Thats what puts this forum way ahead of the others.

Steve
stevetracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:27 AM   #18

billybobbovine wrote:
Quote:
love life, have you checked the diopter on your evf? that could be a reason for the soft evf view
I check it all the time to make sure it is sharp and it does not happen with 4:3 format.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:52 AM   #19

Lovelife have you ever considered throwing that filter you use away?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:56 AM   #20

genece wrote:
Quote:
Lovelife have you ever considered throwing that filter you use away?
No, I plan to keep the filter and throw the FZ30 away, on eBay,in 6 months.