Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:20 AM   #1

Ok, so I've been lurking around this forum since about November, I guess. I finally decided to jump in here and join the fun. I've had my FZ30 since mid December and have taken a ton of pictures with it. Other than the rare lucky shot, most have not been very good until lately. Things are finally starting to click (pun intended).

Granted, I'm nowhere near the level of Squirrel or Gene (I feel like I know you people in a weird stalker sort of way) or some others here, but look to you and your work for inspiration.

I'm the type that carries my camera everywhere and take pictures of anything. Most end up junkers, but you never know when you might get that lucky shot.

Today, while sitting at the McDonald's drive-thru, I noticed some nice flowers growing around the building. I took these shots from the car window from about 6 ft. away. I was surprised how nice they came out and figured they were are good as any to start sharing here. I hope I manage to post the links right!

Critique away, and more to come!

PS - bayourebel, we must be practically neighbors.

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:43 AM   #2

very nice RedStick...i'm sure if you were to try and sell one of those, McD's would want a piece of the profits...lol...i really like the 2nd pic...:-D
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:15 AM   #3

First shot too busy too many flowers.

Second shot central image is too small.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:25 AM   #4

yes, i agree the first one needs a primary subject..

the 2nd one..i don't think the size matters that much because it stands out from the green. although, i think the angle could be a bit better. also shouldn't have included the flower at the top.

overall the 2nd one is still pretty good. i like the bokeh. and i like the color contrast between the flower and the leaves.
dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:44 AM   #5

Gee... maybe I should go back to lurking. :sad:

Actually, I did ask for the critiques, so I know they are well intended.

I agree that the first one is too busy. I tried some cropping, but there was nothing I could do that made it any better.
I did some quick cropping and PP to the second one. Maybe you will find it a little more appealing now.

Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:52 AM   #6

No..Don't try to impress us. You didn't have to edit it and show it to us. We're trying to help you out for the next time you shoot.

Believe me, everyone gets better the more they shoot.

Hope you're not discouraged.
dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:00 AM   #7

I wasn't really trying to impress anyone, just trying to improve the composition a little.

I'm wouldn't say I'm discouraged. If I had spent all day trying to get these shots, maybe I would be. Considering they were shot out of the car window on an impulse, I'm still pretty happy with them!
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:21 AM   #8

RedStickMan wrote:
Quote:
Considering they were shot out of the car window on an impulse, I'm still pretty happy with them!
That's what most important, that you are happy with it. If you want to practice to become a better photographer, then you should come out of your car and take pictures in different kind of position, different distances, different settings, and see which one is best....

For now, be happy and keep on shooting.

I like the crop of the second picture!

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:22 AM   #9

The above post was accidently delivered twice!

Rudo
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:23 AM   #10

Sorry!!!