Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:42 PM   #1

hi :|,

I have the Phayee adapter for FZ20and want to use 62mm filters. Now I'm looking to buy Collapsible Lens Hood. My question what size lens hood I supposed to look for ?

Should I put 62mm Hood on the first section of adapter or 72mm Hood on second section of adapter ?
And is there any major differences between Collapsible Lens Hoods?
Thank you
GEDDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:03 AM   #2

i don't even use the second half of the Phayee adapter... it serves no useful purpose. I simply screw a 62mm hood onto the front of the adapter itself, and that's that. i bought my hood from eBay for something less than $10, and it works beautifully. just look for collapsible hoods, 62mm.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:00 PM   #3

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i don't even use the second half of the ... it serves no useful purpose. I simply screw a 62mm hood onto the front of the adapter itself, and that's that. i bought my hood from eBay for something less than $10, and it works beautifully. just look for , 62mm.

I got different answers like this "Main purpose of the hood is deflecting ambient light not shading the sun. Ambient light are invisible rays that bounce off all surfaces and enter the image before it reaches the front Leica element. The result is reduced color saturation. Zoom lenses absorb more of these beams then conventional fixed focal length lenses, therefore the deeper the hood without causing vignetting the better. The hood should be used in all lighting conditions except when using the built in flash."

It means that using 72mm Phayee adapter and 72mm collapsible hood probably better (without causing vignetting). Any other ideas? :|
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:17 PM   #4

the thread diameter doesn't make any difference in this situation. a 72mm hood would only be better if it were deeper, and then you'd limit it's usefulness because vignetting would occur at higher zoom settings. the 62mm hood i have is about 2.5" deep at full extension, which isn't really enough for a 430mm lens at full zoom, but it's what I could find, and it works. fully extended, i get vignetting out to about 4x. the hood i have on my TCON-14B is a Contax #5 metal hood, which is about 3" deep... again, not technically enough for a 620mm lens, but it works; vignetting with that arrangement extends to about 6x. beyond those zoom settings, there's no problem.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 5:02 PM   #5

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
the thread diameter doesn't make any difference in this situation. a 72mm hood would only be better if it were deeper, and then you'd limit it's usefulness because vignetting would occur at higher zoom settings. the 62mm hood i have is about 2.5" deep at full extension, which isn't really enough for a 430mm lens at full zoom, but it's what I could find, and it works. fully extended, i get vignetting out to about 4x. the hood i have on my TCON-14B is a Contax #5 metal hood, which is about 3" deep... again, not technically enough for a 620mm lens, but it works; vignetting with that arrangement extends to about 6x. beyond those zoom settings, there's no problem.
I will be deeper becase isadded to the Phayee ring the 62mm Hama hood that squirl033is using only convers up to 210m and since you already paid for it use it.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:15 PM   #6

:|Hi got both 62 and 72mm hoods, and make some experiments.

I use 62mm PL filter. When I put second part of adapter and 72mm hood, then rotating 62mm Polarizer by sticking finger inside the hood is VERY big pain in a.....

Then Iscrewed 62mm hood directly on 62mm PL filter and .... its easy rotate the filter together with hood. Probably I will stay with 62mm hood,more comfortableto use all set.

Yes if I use 72mm PL filter then everything would be ok with 72mm hood, but my opinion that 72mm filter is too far away from lenses...

Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:27 PM   #7

GEDDA wrote:
Quote:
:|Hi got both 62 and 72mm hoods, and make some experiments.

I use 62mm PL filter. When I put second part of adapter and 72mm hood, then rotating 62mm Polarizer by sticking finger inside the hood is VERY big pain in a.....

Then Iscrewed 62mm hood directly on 62mm PL filter and .... its easy rotate the filter together with hood. Probably I will stay with 62mm hood,more comfortableto use all set.

Yes if I use 72mm PL filter then everything would be ok with 72mm hood, but my opinion that 72mm filter is too far away from lenses...

72mm hood with 62mmPL. Yes you are correct it is a Pain.

Yes 62mm rubber hood is easyier to use with 62mm PL.

Do not use a 72mm PL on the end of the 72mm hood your are correct too far.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote