Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:02 AM   #1

I have some questions about using my FZ30 in combination with the DCR250:

I have read somewherethat you can only focus at a distance of 11cm from the object, no matter what zoom I use. How can I use more than 4 times zoom if the minimum distance is much more than 11cm if I use a larger zoom. So far I have used it at 11cm with 135mm, but I am not quite satisfied with the results.

I am wondering what settings best to usefor those fabulous pictures of the eyes of a fly or something like that?

Who can help me?
fralico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:16 AM   #2

fralico wrote:
Quote:
I have read somewherethat you can only focus at a distance of 11cm from the object, no matter what zoom I use. How can I use more than 4 times zoom if the minimum distance is much more than 11cm if I use a larger zoom. So far I have used it at 11cm with 135mm, but I am not quite satisfied with the results.

I am wondering what settings best to usefor those fabulous pictures of the eyes of a fly or something like that?
The focus distance for the +8 diopter dcr250 is actually 12.5cm (not 11). The equation is F=1/d where F is the focus distance in meters and d is the diopter power of the lens.The greater dofatlower zooms results in a focus distance range +/- from the mid-point. That is, you might focus at between 11.5cm and 13.5cm depending on whether the subject is at the front or rear of the in-focus dof. At full 12x zoom, the range is very tightdue to the extremely shallow dof (maybe only 2-3mm). You will still focus at 12.5cm from the subject but the slightest bit of movement closer to or further from the subject will throw it in or out of focus. It takes alot of practice. Use fixed objects like coins or jewelry and lots of light.

Closing the aperture down increases the dof, but you obviouslyneed plenty of light.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote