Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 26, 2006, 1:04 AM   #11

dissembled wrote:
Quote:
Don't give away your superzooms if you decide to upgrade to DSLRs.

Look at this!
http://www.firingsquad.com/media/art...&pic_id=04
good point! my FZ20 with the TCON-14B on (and that's a big, heavy TC) still weighsless thanthe 80-400 lens alonefor my 30D!! and that zoom, when extended, is 2 inches longer without the lens hood than my FZ20, TCON and lens hood combined! and that's with the zoom not even mounted on the camera!! the FZ's are absolutemarvels of compact engineering... you can bet i'm hanging onto mine, even after my 30D gets here!

i have no doubt at all there will be times i will want a good camera with some reach, but won't want to carry 6 pounds of camera and lens, or when i will be shooting in places or conditions that might risk damage to the equipment. good as the FZ is, it'd be a lot easier to replace a $450 digicam than $2500 worth of DSLR and lens!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:19 AM   #12

I do miss the live histogram , but the D50 is very good at exposure it gets it correct a lot......Maybe its just with more Dynamic range there is not as much detail blown.

You can check the histogram if you have any real concern about a shot.(after the shot)

I am still learning but it is the focus that amazes me...its dead on almost every time.

Iam still experimenting with the different metering and focusing modes but I just about can not take a really bad shot....of course I am not getting many like the pros....but they are almost all keepers.

And its one of the few DSLRs with spot metering( at least I think it is)...I would like to try some swans in bright light with that.

It is not as convienient as The FZ's but it sure has some good points.

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
A friend of mine went from a Canon Digicam to a D70 +18-70mm kit lens. He then purchased a VR lens, not sure which one but he was of the opinion that the D50's kit lens was not of the same quality as the 18-70's. Well what ever you do - going with the D50 or D70 you cant go wrong. For now I'm ok with the FZ10 although I will be looking to upgrade in the summer to what .. I'm not sure to what cam yet. The Pana L1, possibly esp if the kit price is reasonable. Regards the L1's Leica 14-50mm lens -I decided to take a look into how much the equivalent Nikkor VR or Canon IS lens will cost and here in the UK they are in the £800-1000=US$1400-1742.00 price range.

If Pana intro'd a SOny R1 equivalent I would jump at straight away. Gene, how do you find not having a live histogram with the Nikon ?

Cheers

HarjTT

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:56 AM   #13

The one thing that stands out beyond the far better auto focus of the dslr is the off the chart number of keepers. Whether due to correct focus, white balance, dynamic range, exposure, ability to freeze motion either of the camera or subject due to in body anti-shake or 3 EV reach beyond the FZ (constant 2.8 capability here too). Ability to set up make changes manually is near instant. No need for a red dot sight, or a flash in far more instances for me than the FZ. The FZ sits in a Gerstner wooden instrument case. I think about it often and look at it once in a while. A day doesn't pass that I don't see the incredible handywork its given me. Its taken many amazing photos I cherish. A dslr is not a necessity. It just allows some things to be accomplished much easier. There are crescents, sockets... just tools.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:22 AM   #14

D50 has far less noise than the Canon XT at ISO 400, 800 and 1600. Anyone shoot anything at 1600? I topped out at 800 with film, and with the FZ20 I top out at 100.

mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 1:17 PM   #15

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page17.asp

Yes you're right..

I wonder why it's so cheap?
dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 1:54 PM   #16

My own personal opinion is that upto ISO400 nearly all of the DSLR's are in and around the same ballpark - the imagines are going to pretty much noise free - need to add the Sony R1 as it is easily as good at ISO400. Its only when you start going to higher ISO's 800-3200 that you'll notice a difference between the cam's esp at ISO1600-3200. At the higher ISO's it looks as if Canon's CMOS sensor is the best of the bunch. Nikon, KM both use Sony sensors and Olympus now has a mix of Kodak CCD and Pana CMOS sensors.

Regards pricing - its amazing that you can pick up a DSLR kit for around $500. We'll have to see what Pana brings to the table with the FZ40 - I'd like them to use a 1" sensor, drop the zoom to an 8x optical and make the lens a constant f2.8 - hey better still an f2.0,- f2.8 and a 0.5MP EVF/LCD. How much would that cost - I'd say it would be more than $500.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:50 PM   #17

"I wonder why it's so cheap?"

New models always are comin, they know you'll be buying lenses, and the war is on... Sony will be fighting tuff. Nikon and Canon are wary. Panasonic is in one too many arrangements with outsiders perhaps, while choosing a differnt tact. They lost me with their dslr entry and no in body anti-shake.

noise between them, difference in their kit lens http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Konmin5D/page4.shtml

Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:30 PM   #18

I don't have the Canon, Nikon, or any of the other dslr's mentioned here, but I do have the Pentax, and shoot regularly at iso 400, and do not notice any noise unless I want to pixel peep. Even 800 is very useful for bird shooting if you want to get the shot. There is some noise, but it's very easy to deal with. Any dslr will give you good results if you know what you're doing, and are prepared to buy some decent glass. It's the glass and technique that really matters in the end. The body may have better features on one brand to another, but the final results are usually determined by the operator and the glass he or she uses. It all depends which lens system you want to buy into............cheers............thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:56 PM   #19

Why can't I write AFTER the quote? Why is this bold?? The blinker doesn't show when I click anywhere except here.

Anyway. kman, I've glanced over the pentax lenses and i'm not impressed at all. Can you point me to a pentax lens that has an aperture of larger than f2.0 and equivalent to atleast 50mm? maybe i missed it..

Whoops.nevermind. hehe
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
I don't have the Canon, Nikon, or any of the other dslr's mentioned here, but I do have the Pentax, and shoot regularly at iso 400, and do not notice any noise unless I want to pixel peep. Even 800 is very useful for bird shooting if you want to get the shot. There is some noise, but it's very easy to deal with. Any dslr will give you good results if you know what you're doing, and are prepared to buy some decent glass. It's the glass and technique that really matters in the end. The body may have better features on one brand to another, but the final results are usually determined by the operator and the glass he or she uses. It all depends which lens system you want to buy into............cheers............thekman.
dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:01 PM   #20

You might want to check out their line of prime lenses. The 31, 77, and 85mm are all bigger than f/2, not to mention a 50mm at f/1.2, or 1.4 or 1.7......thekman.

dissembled wrote:
Quote:
Why can't I write AFTER the quote? Why is this bold?? The blinker doesn't show when I click anywhere except here.

Anyway. kman, I've glanced over the pentax lenses and i'm not impressed at all. Can you point me to a pentax lens that has an aperture of larger than f2.0? maybe i missed it..
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote