Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:55 AM   #1

Let me be the first to sing the praises of the FZ-20 having owned mine for sometime and love it.

I am/have been waiting for Panasonic to produce an upgrade where using ISO 400 shows little if any noise. It has a great lens and this fact holds back the potential of the camera.

If I don't see it this summer, I am going to buy a used Nikon D70 or D50 plus and 18-55 Nikon lens.

Pricing now for this combo is hovering around $500 and I don't think you can do better for a DSLR for a hobbyist.

However I would love to see the FZ-40 with a large CCD and no noise up to ISO 800.

Any thoughts?
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:32 AM   #2

Just a warning ,its hard to find the D70 body only, for 700 dollars,, anyone offering it for less.. I would be cautious.

The D50 is a great camera and is available for 500 dollars body only.....and to duplicate the lens quality of the FZ30 with VR lenses which you may or may not need. I do...I can not hand hold 200 mm without VR.....you have $2500.00 invested....

How do I know....I have $1200.00 invested and Am trying to talk myself out of the 80 to 400 VR lens.....another $1400.00

Is it a great camera that takes photos in almost no light with almost no noise ...yes it is ......but is it as convenient as a FZ30...no way.

And while I think it takes sharper photos.....it does not have more detail....Now a D200 does but thats another $1000.00

I will not be getting rid of either camera but there are differences.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:01 AM   #3

Just took a look at the D50 and for $500 you can buy a body only. Good deal. So for less than a D200 you can buy the D50 with the 18-200 VR.

I do believe I would need nothing more.
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:49 PM   #4

mlhm5 wrote:
Quote:
Just took a look at the D50 and for $500 you can buy a body only. Good deal. So for less than a D200 you can buy the D50 with the 18-200 VR.

I do believe I would need nothing more.
from what i've heard, the D50 is just as good, the only "advantage" to the D70 is that it can drive slave flashes for studio work. if you don't do that, the D50 will do just fine. i seriously considered a D50 myself.

the D200 is a much more expensive proposition, designed to compete with Canon's 30D. it's 10Mp instead of 8, so it's not a direct competitor, but it's also about $1700, body only. for a hobby photographer, if you want a Nikon, the D50 seems pretty hard to beat. however, if you can get a used D70 for that package price, and you can verify that the camera is in good condition, that'd be a real score.

beware of cheap glass, though. if you're used to the FZ20 as i am, you know it has truly excellent optics, and the "kit" lenses that come with most camera body package deals are pretty much junk. you may be happy enough with them for a little while, but before long i think you'll miss the clarity and sharpness of the Leica lenses, and you'll wind up buying better glass, so might as well do it right up front, if you can. don't forget, the D50/D70 has a crop factor of 1.5, so whatever you put on it will give you 1.5x the focal length of the lens. a 70-200 lens would give you about a105-300mm equivalent, which is pretty good for all-around use, anf there are some very good top-grade lenses out there in that focal range. if you're serious about wildlife, though, you'll need something that goes to at least 400mm, which would give you 600mm equivalent on those Nikon bodies.

i assume the "combo" you're looking at is the D70 and the 18-55 only, and the 70-300 isn't included. i'd consider saving my pennies and getting a better long zoom... one with image stabilization, at least.you'll need good glass to duplicate the reach and clarity of the FZ20, so don't scrimp on the long zoom...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:55 PM   #5

That is a great combo....and for $100.00 more you can get the 50mm F1.8 lens that will take super photos in very dark conditions.

That is where I am now but I do want a 400vr of some sort, most likely the 80 to 400 VR or OS.

And do not get me wrong the FZ30 is still one great camera...

Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:13 PM   #6

If you are concerned about noise then you should stay away from the Nikons.* They have horrible noise over 400 ISO.**
Jon_Doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:08 PM   #7

My goodness... the D50 is the cleanest DSLR there is....
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:36 PM   #8

A friend of mine went from a Canon Digicam to a D70 +18-70mm kit lens. He then purchased a VR lens, not sure which one but he was of the opinion that the D50's kit lens was not of the same quality as the 18-70's. Well what ever you do - going with the D50 or D70 you cant go wrong. For now I'm ok with the FZ10 although I will be looking to upgrade in the summer to what .. I'm not sure to what cam yet. The Pana L1, possibly esp if the kit price is reasonable. Regards the L1's Leica 14-50mm lens -I decided to take a look into how much the equivalent Nikkor VR or Canon IS lens will cost and here in the UK they are in the £800-1000=US$1400-1742.00 price range.

If Pana intro'd a SOny R1 equivalent I would jump at straight away. Gene, how do you find not having a live histogram with the Nikon ?

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:59 PM   #9

Don't give away your superzooms if you decide to upgrade to DSLRs.

Look at this!
http://www.firingsquad.com/media/art...&pic_id=04

dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:12 PM   #10

Hehe. I suggest just buying an XT and keeping your FZ20. Canon has a crop factor of 1.6x and has the least noise of the (affordable) DSLRS that I've seen. Noise at 1600 doesnt even compare to the noise seen w. the FZ's at 400.
Also has the best image quality. But that's subjective. :blah:

The FZ30 is around $500. The XT is $679 new at ZipZoomFly.

But remember to keep your FZ20!! I'm planning to buy the FZ30 first to see what focal ranges suit me best for st. photography. And then upgrade to a DSLR in the future.

by now, you should know the focal lengths that suit you best, so I think that a DSLR is a good option for you.
Good luck.

Jon_Doh wrote:
Quote:
If you are concerned about noise then you should stay away from the Nikons. They have horrible noise over 400 ISO.
dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote