Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:57 AM   #1

I just purchased a new Velbon Ultra MaxiS tripod a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd pass along my thoughts. I had searched the forum for info before buying it but really couldnt find much so maybe this info will help someone else.

While it's not a mega-sturdy monster like the one my telescope is mounted to, the Velbon Ultra MaxiS seems to be awesome if what you want is something small (folds up to about a foot long and even less if you remove the ball head), light (less than two pounds), portable and well-made. It extends to a max height of around 55" (I think) which works fine for me.I had searched around and found plenty of "cheaper" small tripods in the 20-50 dollar range but didn't want a piece of junk like Im pretty sure most of the genericones listed on eBay are. So, being one that subscribes to the thought of "you usually getwhat you pay for"I took the plunge and bought the Velbon for around $85 and couldn't be more pleased. The design is great and unless the wind is particularly strong, it is quite sturdy and stable. It supports the weight of my FZ30 with ease, even with the TCON 17 or Raynox HD6600-55 WA attached and could probably handle a little more weight with no problems. All in all the Velbon is awesome if this is the type of product you're looking for. The funniest thing is that it is made in China and the box it came in has some really funny "Engrish" written on it (If you're not familiar with what "engrish" is, please, do yourself a favor and visit http://www.engrish.com ) If anyone else has one of the Velbon Ultras I'd like to hear your thoughts or opinions on it.

Oh, on a sidenote, when I bought this tripod, I also picked up one of those little el-cheapo5 inch, flexible leg tripods you see everywhere and suprisingly for only a couple of bucks. I now believeeveryone should have one of these stuck in their camera bag or shirt pocket. I always laughed at these things, pretty much considering them a joke, but the one I got is actually pretty stable and works great in a pinch. I can think of about a million times I could have used this thing in the past.
adamjs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:57 PM   #2

adamjs69 wrote:
Quote:
Oh, on a sidenote, when I bought this tripod, I also picked up one of those little el-cheapo5 inch, flexible leg tripods you see everywhere and suprisingly for only a couple of bucks. I now believeeveryone should have one of these stuck in their camera bag or shirt pocket. I always laughed at these things, pretty much considering them a joke, but the one I got is actually pretty stable and works great in a pinch. I can think of about a million times I could have used this thing in the past.
Eeeeee.....yup. The only gotcha is trying to rember to bring it. I gots tuh gets me a new bag with mo room...otherwise I'd certainly tuck it in there and take it everywhere. (sorry about my engrish)

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote