Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2006, 8:01 PM   #11

TCB, rduve, andride16 - The f10 is far superior to the fx01 at iso800 as shown in the slightly resized 100% crops below. For concerts and clubbing I would chose the f10 without a doubt.The zoom will be pretty useless, however. The F10 aperture goes to f5 at full 3x zoom (fx01 goes to f5.6) and without image stabilization things get real blurry. These two shot were at ~1/30s

Fuji F10 at iso800 detail

FX01 at iso800 detail

Originals at http://fmoore.zoto.com/galleries/fx01vsf10

There are some other fx01/f10 comparisons at
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFX01/page8.asp iso80
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFX01/page9.asp iso400

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 8:06 PM   #12

Yeah, that does it. Fuji definitely has a leg up when it comes to noise handling at high ISO settings.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:38 PM   #13

Thanks for posting the comparisons - it does look like the fugi does much better, but I do like to use the zoom, and without image stabilization, it might be useless for me. Does anyone have any other suggestions on a small size camera that might do better in these situations (lowlight with zoom, specifically). Thanks!

Melissa (www.mkklein.smugmug.com)
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:58 AM   #14

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
TCB, rduve, andride16 - The f10 is far superior to the fx01 at iso800 as shown in the slightly resized 100% crops below. For concerts and clubbing I would chose the f10 without a doubt.The zoom will be pretty useless, however. The F10 aperture goes to f5 at full 3x zoom (fx01 goes to f5.6) and without image stabilization things get real blurry. These two shot were at ~1/30s
The fx01 looks more like it is out of focus than ridden by noise though.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:02 AM   #15

fmoore wrote:
Based on these, the Fuji is a lot better even at ISO80. It's image quality has been compared to the Canon EOS 20D on another site, and I think it is the best, by far, of any compact camera.

My camera collection is: Fuji F11, Panasonic FZ30, and Konica Minolta 5D DSLR. I think I am set for now.

:-)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:03 AM   #16

rduve wrote:
Quote:
The fx01 looks more like it is out of focus than ridden by noise though.
It's the in-camera noise reduction on the fx01 that is making it so soft.

My choices came down to the fx01 and the f10. The fx01 28mm (and slightly but noticeably smaller size) won over the superior low-light capability of the f10. (IMO, the iso80- 200 differences between the two are negligiblle.) In a couple of years we should have the best of both worlds.

Melissa - I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for; ie, ultra compact with high iso and image stablization. Theas yet unreleased (May?)fuji f30 might get acceptable results at a high enough iso so as not to need IS at full 3x zoom.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:11 PM   #17

I got the Fuji F11 over the F10(which I had and returned) because I like the manual exposure option, the closer macro range, and the F10's flash would underexpose (which could have been just a defective unit, but the Dcresource review found the same issue). I also did not realize when I had first ordered the F10 that the F11 was available for just a few bucks more here in the US. I got it for $283 from an on-line retailer whose name escapes me at the moment. b But if anyone is interested I can find out.

To me the poor noise pattern of the FX01 would be a dealbreaker. And the F11 is plenty small. And image quality is simply stunning. I am carrying it always with me during my morning jog to take candid shots. Here is one from last week.

Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:17 PM   #18

...and here is one at ISO 1600 of my two boys sleeping with the curtains drawn in Natural Light Mode. While noise is present, it is still very usable for a 4x6 print. That's the reason why I got the F11. But it depends on your needs.

Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:56 PM   #19

Man, you're tempting me with that iso1600 shot! Fantastic what fuji has done with that sensor. I'm going to stick with the 28mm fx01, but DAMN! it would be nice to have that high iso capability. Who knows, if the price of the f11 (not to mentionavailability) gets down around $200 maybe I'll get both. I didn't think it was available in the US, but I see a couple of NYC stores (Prestige and Broadway) have it for under $300.

Thanks forpointing outwhat I'll be missing. :sad:
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:38 PM   #20

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Man, you're tempting me with that iso1600 shot! Fantastic what fuji has done with that sensor. I'm going to stick with the 28mm fx01, but DAMN! it would be nice to have that high iso capability. Who knows, if the price of the f11 (not to mentionavailability) gets down around $200 maybe I'll get both. I didn't think it was available in the US, but I see a couple of NYC stores (Prestige and Broadway) have it for under $300.

Thanks forpointing outwhat I'll be missing. :sad:

Sorry for rubbing it in..:G, but I had to learn it the hard way too until I found the compact camera that is right for me. Went through the Minolta G500 (which I think must have been defective because the pictures came out terribly greenish), the Casio EX-Z40 which was ok, but not anything close in image quality to the F10/11 and then the switch from the F10 to the F11. Now I think I got it right,. Having three cameras now F(uji F11, Panasonic FZ30, and Minolta 5D) it's picture taking time. I got more equipment than I need, now put it to use, Big Boy (mmmh, haven't I heard that line before?...)

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries