Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:26 AM   #1

I got the FX01 a couple of days ago ($300 at B&H) mainly for it's size and 28mm "Leica"lens and OIS. Here are some links to sampleswith access tooriginal images:

General samples at http://fmoore.zoto.com/galleries/firstfx01/

Compare with fz5 at http://fmoore.zoto.com/galleries/fx01vsfz5/1

Compare with fuji f10 at http://fmoore.zoto.com/galleries/fx01vsf10/

8 sec, 13mb, 848x480 mov clip at http://www.artmags.com/P1000203.MOV

FZ5 and FX01

FX01 at 28mm, 1/200s, f5.6, iso80

Here is an sample in High Sensitivity mode. It looks pretty lousy but a 4x6 print isn't all that bad.

FX01 at 28mm, 1/8s, f2.8, iso1600

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:24 PM   #2

Fred,

Thanks for the images. I am also thinking about this camera. I may get it for my wife and son to use. From the images it seems to be pretty good. I held one the other day, WOW is it small!! Are you going to keep it? I think I the images for the FX better then the Fuji, at least with the limited pics you had posted.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:13 AM   #3

hi...

is it possible to hook this camera up directly to a widescreen tv and view the 848x480 movie in full resolution?

if so, are there component hookups?

also, does it have to have a high-speed sd cardto take full advantage of the movie as well as burst features?

thanks.
Danxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:15 AM   #4

I checked out your comparisons with the Fuji F10 and the FX01 compares quite favorably at high ISO's. I have the Fuji F11 (same as F10, import only, includes manual controls) and I really like it as my little carry on camera, but now I am having second thoughts. What's the optical zoom on the FZ01?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 2:28 PM   #5
TCB

The fuji pics you are comparing it to are shot at iso 800, while the panasonic shots are only iso 100-200..not a fair comparison
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:04 PM   #6

I got the fx01 from B&H not only for their competive price ($300) but also for their liberal return policy - 14 days no penalty/restock fee. They also ship quickly; just an all around excellent dealer. I happen to find an open box fuji f10 at Circuit City, which also carries 14 day no-restock fee (normally 15% on unopened box items). So I have another week to compare the two. I'm pretty sold on the fx01 at this point primarilydue tothe 28mm and smaller size.

Here is the fx01 side by side with the fuji f10 and the canon a70, our erstwhile family camera.

Quote:
is it possible to hook this camera up directly to a widescreen tv and view the 848x480 movie in full resolution?

if so, are there component hookups?

also, does it have to have a high-speed sd cardto take full advantage of the movie as well as burst features

Danxp - Yes, you can hook up the fx01 to the tv and view widescreen for 848x480 in full resolution with supplied rca av cables. The lcd readout in record modecan also beviewed on the tv. A high-speed sd card is highly recommended particularly for movie mode. I'm using a 60x kingmax 1g card and it seems to be working fine.

Quote:
I checked out your comparisons with the Fuji F10 and the FX01 compares quite favorably at high ISO's. I have the Fuji F11 (same as F10, import only, includes manual controls) and I really like it as my little carry on camera, but now I am having second thoughts. What's the optical zoom on the FZ01?

rduve - The max optical zoom is 3.6x. There is EZ capability that brings it up to 5x at 3mp but hardly worth the effort, IMO.

Quote:
The fuji pics you are comparing it to are shot at iso 800, while the panasonic shots are only iso 100-200..not a fair comparison
TCB - You're correct about the iso. Being unfamiliar with both cameras, I wanted to do a quick yet useful comparison, so I put them both in Simple or full auto mode and let the camera decide what to do, which is what would happen much of the time here at the ranch. The fuji chose to go to a higher iso than I would have expected. The fx01 goes to the iso800-1600 onlyif set to High Sensitivity mode -not in Simple mode. I'll be happy to run some more meaningful comparisons if either you or rduve would give me suggestions.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:19 AM   #7

Looks like a great little camera!I have a FZ20, and am looking for something a little smaller. I have a casio exz55 right now, but I tried to take it to a concert and it was no good in low-light, especially with the zoom. I didn't see the FX01 listed in steve's reviews - did I miss it, or is it a really new camera? Looks like it would be worth checking out.

Melissa
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:01 AM   #8

TCB wrote:
Quote:

Oh, I did not realize that. Sure is not fair. My Fuji does quite well at high ISO's. I wondered how the Panasonic would compare.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:06 AM   #9

ride16 wrote:
Quote:
Looks like a great little camera!I have a FZ20, and am looking for something a little smaller. I have a casio exz55 right now, but I tried to take it to a concert and it was no good in low-light, especially with the zoom. I didn't see the FX01 listed in steve's reviews - did I miss it, or is it a really new camera? Looks like it would be worth checking out.

Melissa

I had a Casio EX-Z40 before. Did not like the image quality. The Fuji F11 (same as Fuji F10, butfeaturing manual exposure control and closer macro range)that I now have as my compact camera delivers far superior images, and great low light quality. It does not have IS, but with a 3x zoom and usable ISO 1600 that has not been a problem for me. I like that the Panasonic FX01 is even smaller (although the F11 is small enough I find), but I wonder about its high ISO performance.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:24 PM   #10
TCB

I'd like to see a comparison of the Fuji F10 shot at iso 800 and the Panasonc FX01 shot at iso 800. That will help me bigtime.*
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote