Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2006, 3:50 PM   #1

Is it possible to stack lenses either for close up or Tele? I have the Nikon T4 close up and the Panasonic 1.7X tele. I am currently experimenting with a mount for the FZ 30 to a 6 inch reflector telescope, which will be v e r y difficult (but possible) to lug around, and not as bad as it sounds because it has a w i c k e d awesome sturdy mount/tripod. Anyone?

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 4:26 PM   #2

Not sure what lens you're considering stacking. Close-up lens can be staked and the resulting power is the added diopter power of theindependent lens. Tele converters can be staked and the resulting tele power is the multiple of the individual lens. When stacking close-ups and teles, the magnification depends on which lens comes first. See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

I don't have any experience with telescopes.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 4:30 PM   #3

I have stacked teleconverters Tcon 14 or 14B with tcon 17's or a raynox 2020 pro all those combos work....if you have a couple lenses, I can maybe help.

Now to stack a closeup lens and a teleconver you gain some power and you can focus closer but there is only one place you can focus....If I remember I tried a 6T and a tcon 17 and the focus area was right about 4 ft.....you could more than fill the frame with a downey woodpecker but that was about the only distance you could focus, less zoom on the camera entended the distance but your getting to a whats the point thing.

Now the telescope thing I never tried it but I followed some threads about that...If your scope has a 2 inch focuser and eyepiece you are pretty well on the right track ...but if you have a 1 1/4" eyepiece you are pretty well doomed.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:42 AM   #4

genece wrote:
Quote:
I have stacked teleconverters Tcon 14 or 14B with tcon 17's or a raynox 2020 pro all those combos work....if you have a couple lenses, I can maybe help.

Now to stack a closeup lens and a teleconver you gain some power and you can focus closer but there is only one place you can focus....If I remember I tried a 6T and a tcon 17 and the focus area was right about 4 ft.....you could more than fill the frame with a downey woodpecker but that was about the only distance you could focus, less zoom on the camera entended the distance but your getting to a whats the point thing.

Now the telescope thing I never tried it but I followed some threads about that...If your scope has a 2 inch focuser and eyepiece you are pretty well on the right track ...but if you have a 1 1/4" eyepiece you are pretty well doomed.
Thanks Gene, I'm going to digest this and reply after I give it some more thought. I've some experience with telescopes and I'm going to replace the mount to accomodate the camera. The secondary mirror may have to be moved to accomodate the lense of the camera, as the distance from the primary mirror is indeed set to match the smaller eyepieces on the telescope. I'm going to read the link fmoore suggested and then maybe repost my thoughts.

Kd
Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Is it possible to stack lenses either for close up or Tele?
Yes, please see my Panasonic FZ-30 user guide for stacking telephoto lenses, and my Canon A95 Info Page for stacking close-up lenses.

Quote:
I am currently experimenting with a mount for the FZ 30 to a 6 inch reflector telescope, which will be v e r y difficult (but possible) to lug around, and not as bad as it sounds because it has a w i c k e d awesome sturdy mount/tripod. Anyone?
What is your question, please?

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10/FZ-30, and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:56 PM   #6

shene wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is it possible to stack lenses either for close up or Tele?
Yes, please see my Panasonic FZ-30 user guide for stacking telephoto lenses, and my Canon A95 Info Page for stacking close-up lenses.

Quote:
I am currently experimenting with a mount for the FZ 30 to a 6 inch reflector telescope, which will be v e r y difficult (but possible) to lug around, and not as bad as it sounds because it has a w i c k e d awesome sturdy mount/tripod. Anyone?
What is your question, please?

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10/FZ-30, and Canon A95 User Guides

Right now, I have plenty to digest, so for the moment my questions are in hibernation. As soon as I get done tinkering and thinking I'll return with either a photo post or I'll reopen with another question. Thanks for the input guys...

Kd