Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:45 AM   #21

That was a good read, in fact I'll be back for seconds. Liked the comments on the 30D. Hmmmmm......(calculates...$$$$...thinks...$$$$.... .schemes.....looks in the piggy bank....$$$$$)

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:12 AM   #22

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
By the way, herearecomparison shots of the FZ30 and the KM5D. Definitely no night and day difference. Guess which is which.
i'm guessing the first one is the KM, because the background is smoother. and in the second, the white fur is blown... though you can't see any white in the first. the first one also seems to have a bit shallower DOF, and the FZ is notorious for a fairly deep DOF even at mid-range f-stops...

You are correct, Sir. Dead giveaway is the DOF. I have more comparisons if anybody is interested.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:19 AM   #23

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
That was a good read, in fact I'll be back for seconds. Liked the comments on the 30D. Hmmmmm......(calculates...$$$$...thinks...$$$$.... .schemes.....looks in the piggy bank....$$$$$)

Kd

KM5D has almost everything that Rocky describes (other than minor features,such as the option to change ISO in the viewfinder). Super-fast start up, low noise at high ISO's,predictive tracking focus, etc.PLUS in-camera IS for a fraction of the price. So, if money is an issue, and you are spoiled by the FZ's IS, KM5Dis the way to go. Of course, if you got the cash, you can never go wrong with the Canon.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 2:31 AM   #24

rduve wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:

Kd

KM5D has almost everything that Rocky describes (other than minor features,such as the option to change ISO in the viewfinder). Super-fast start up, low noise at high ISO's,predictive tracking focus, etc.PLUS in-camera IS for a fraction of the price. So, if money is an issue, and you are spoiled by the FZ's IS, KM5Dis the way to go. Of course, if you got the cash, you can never go wrong with the Canon.
Well, it is a place to start, for sure. I mean this idea of a DSLR kind of makes me feel like a traitor, because I am very fond of the FZ 30. Now then, that said, I know a DSLR for me is probably just a matter of time. (I'll never part with the 30 tho ) I relish the thought of reading all the member comments and opinions. Like your comments, and Rocky's take on his camera. I might be a year or more away from a DSLR, depending on how well I do with my 30 this summer, when I get the chance to shoot more wildlife. I got some pretty good ones last year, and that was when I barely knew my camera. I have great expectations for this year. What was the company that took over KM? Was it Sony? How many KM 5D's do you think are left, or are they even still new on the shelves? For sure the most appealing feature has got to be the built in IS. But the 30D sounds like it tracks it's focus like a dream, for moving subjects. Are you saying the 5D is comparable? I love shooting birds, and am itching to get some fast action shots, with no blur.

Kd
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:38 AM   #25

Yes, Kenneth, Sony took over the camera operations from Konica Minolta. However, KM will probably continue to manufacture for the new Sony label. The mount will remain the same, so the lenses will not be incompatible in the future. There are still plenty of 5D's in stock, but I think the price has stabilized. While there was an immediate drop right after the Minolta announcement because of the uncertain future(that's when I got mine), the price came back up a little and stabilized when Sony announced that it would continue to build Minolta A-mount compatible cameras. But you should be able to get the body with the 18-70 lens for $650.

The KM5D definitely has auto tracking with predictivefocus. And it works quite well. I haveshot fastmoving basketball players and the tracking keeps them in focus. I am not sure how it compares to new Canon 30D. I'd hope it'd be even betterat this.

Certainly don't feel like a traitor. I don't. Panasonic makes some great cameras, but it is not curing cancer nor is it some poor underdog which must be championed and protected against the Goliaths in the industry. It is a multi-billion dollar company which at times makes someinnovative products in many fields of electronics (the first affordable 3CCD camcorders are another example), but so does Sony and most definitely Canon, Nikon, Fuji and a lot of other manufacturers. I have never been one who sticks with a brand simply because of loyalty. Hell, I had to pay Panasonic $130 to fix my stuck lens in the FZ20 since I had had it for over 6 months. Found out later that others who had the same problem just tapped it a little to release it, which is probably all they did, but it took over three weeks anyway. So, it is not that their loyalty to their customers is so great.

I have loved my FZ's. Had the FZ20, and now the FZ30. I think they are great cameras, industry leaders in their class. But I stated in these forums from the beginningthat I am buying the FZ30 only to bridge thetime until I can get a DSLR witha couple ofzoom lensesin the same price range as the FZ30, which I predicted would take another year or so. It just so happened that within a few weeks I saw the auction formy KM5D, including lenses and memory for barely more than I had paid for my FZ30. I had to go for it. Iaman old school SLR guy. I had a cheap East German Praktica L back as a kidgrowing up in West Germany.It had no auto exposure and I carried a separate meter with me. I had my own black and white lab in my parent'scellar.I learned to think in F-stops early on, andchanging lenses was part of the craft of photography. There is a certain depth, 3D perspective that is being achieved by 35mm film as well as the larger sensors in DSLR's, which cannot be attained by small CCD cameras.I also could never really get used to the EVF. You just cannot focus as accurately and maintain as much control as when you really look through the lens. And the delay and freezing of the EVF also has been a draw back for action shots. I got the RDS, but ended up not ever really using it.

So, to me the DSLR provides a more powerful tool to take the kind of pictures I want. It is a better box. A good photographer can make any box achieve the results he wants. Some boxes are just of greater assistance to the photographer. The FZ30 has also been a fine tool, but has its limitations. If there was no advantage to having an SLR, why would Panasonic now enter the market, and why would people spend thousands on them? To me, the KM5D was a no brainer at that price, and frankly I get better, more consitent results with it than I did with any of my previous digicams. There you have it. Am I now a traitor?

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:58 AM   #26

exceptional shots squirl

ur shots inspire me to improve my work, fantastic.

ken

something i took at local garden

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:40 PM   #27

rduve wrote:
Quote:
So, to me the DSLR provides a more powerful tool to take the kind of pictures I want. It is a better box. A good photographer can make any box achieve the results he wants. Some boxes are just of greater assistance to the photographer. The FZ30 has also been a fine tool, but has its limitations. If there was no advantage to having an SLR, why would Panasonic now enter the market, and why would people spend thousands on them? To me, the KM5D was a no brainer at that price, and frankly I get better, more consitent results with it than I did with any of my previous digicams. There you have it. Am I now a traitor?

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
I have a certain fondess for my FZ 30. It stems from the relief of actually making the shots I'd tried for with my 7I, and been skunked. No, traitor was a little hyperbole. But if it had been a Sony or any other brand that got me those results, I'd feel the same way. It was like finally being offered an aspirin for a nagging headache. I just really enjoyed the relief. Carrrying on the analogy, in those terms, perhaps a DSLR would have cured a migraine....

Kd
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:12 PM   #28

I share the same fondness and there are some pluspoints to the FZ30 even over my DSLR. For example, the Olympus TCON 17 delivers much crisper images and better auto focus on the FZ30 than on my Sigma 75-300 zoom lens without weighing a ton. So, the FZ30 will probably remain my number one choice for super zoom shots with the TCON17.

I cannot see myself letting go of the FZ30, but the KM5D gives me more of the control I like.

Now, I am always lugging around both sets with full accessories because I cannot make the choice to leave one at home. Nice problem to have, one of my friends tells me.

:-)

Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:48 PM   #29

If I were on a really long hike, and had a well organized bag, for each camera, I still wouldn't mind carrying two. If I thought I might possibly get the shot of a lifetime, two small camera bags would be a small price to pay. I think it just increases the odds of you being able to get the shot when your equipment suddenly takes on the strong points of two separate cameras. (Double the fun)

Kd
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:32 AM   #30

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
If I were on a really long hike, and had a well organized bag, for each camera, I still wouldn't mind carrying two. If I thought I might possibly get the shot of a lifetime, two small camera bags would be a small price to pay. I think it just increases the odds of you being able to get the shot when your equipment suddenly takes on the strong points of two separate cameras. (Double the fun)

Kd
if i were on a really long hike, it'd be the FZ20, hands down. period. the Canon would stay at home, for a couple of reasons. first, the obvious... weight! trust me, on a long hike, that extra weight can really wear you down. second, out there in the boonies, juggling lenses, etc., there's just a lot of chances for dirt to get into the DSLR's guts, or to bang something into a rock, etc., etc. i'd rather carry less weight and enjoy trhe hike knowing i can use the FZ20, to get at least decent shots of whatever i happen across, than be miserable from hauling the excess weight -or worse, messing up$3000 worth of DSLR and lenses because i slipped on a wet rock and fell into the river!!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote