Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:48 AM   #31

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
If I were on a really long hike, and had a well organized bag, for each camera, I still wouldn't mind carrying two. If I thought I might possibly get the shot of a lifetime, two small camera bags would be a small price to pay. I think it just increases the odds of you being able to get the shot when your equipment suddenly takes on the strong points of two separate cameras. (Double the fun)

Kd
if i were on a really long hike, it'd be the FZ20, hands down. period. the Canon would stay at home, for a couple of reasons. first, the obvious... weight! trust me, on a long hike, that extra weight can really wear you down. second, out there in the boonies, juggling lenses, etc., there's just a lot of chances for dirt to get into the DSLR's guts, or to bang something into a rock, etc., etc. i'd rather carry less weight and enjoy trhe hike knowing i can use the FZ20, to get at least decent shots of whatever i happen across, than be miserable from hauling the excess weight -or worse, messing up$3000 worth of DSLR and lenses because i slipped on a wet rock and fell into the river!!

Good point....
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:56 AM   #32

Yes, the FZ's are perfectas an all around camera without the need for a bunch of lenses. I'd still carry an extra battery, my Nikon 4t for macros and a polarizer lens, that should do it and not weigh too much.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:50 AM   #33

rduve wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
That was a good read, in fact I'll be back for seconds. Liked the comments on the 30D. Hmmmmm......(calculates...$$$$...thinks...$$$$.... .schemes.....looks in the piggy bank....$$$$$)

Kd

KM5D has almost everything that Rocky describes (other than minor features,such as the option to change ISO in the viewfinder). Super-fast start up, low noise at high ISO's,predictive tracking focus, etc.PLUS in-camera IS for a fraction of the price. So, if money is an issue, and you are spoiled by the FZ's IS, KM5Dis the way to go. Of course, if you got the cash, you can never go wrong with the Canon.
ISO changes are available in the viewfinder of the 5d andare instantly changed with a flick of the wheel, after a touch of the ISO button.

Viewfinder eye-relief, magnification, coverage...are one of the things many don't pay much attention to till they have the camera.The fact that KM has been a supplier of Leica lens (yah, or so I'm told), and one of the two prime suppliers of the best hand held metering systems. The 5d build makes the 350D look like a Leggo (get back Sven). Think I'll shut the hell up before I really get some dander up. Heck, I can't. The Nikon kit lens is one of the better kit lens from anyone, so far. The Panasonic dslr ought to change that. I'm sure it'll be a honey. As stated many times look at the lens system available. Its just sucks that Nikon, Canon, etchave diluted their offerings with poor lens. Makes choices tough without good sources of evaluation.

Sorry, for the rant, Rocky. Has nothing to do with your fine pictures. Haven't had my second cup...
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:25 PM   #34

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
ISO changes are available in the viewfinder of the 5d andare instantly changed with a flick of the wheel, after a touch of the ISO button.
Quote:
The Nikon kit lens is one of the better kit lens from anyone, so far.
Oh, good to hear. I am still familiarizing myself with it. So, it compares even more favorably than I thought. You make me even feel better about my choice.

Did you mean to say "Minolta kit lens" instead of Nikon? Because in the next sentence you state how poor Canon and Nikon kit lenses are in comparison.

Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:33 PM   #35

Of the kit lens with Nikon D50, Canon 350D and KM 5d the Canon is rated the poorest and Nikon the best. Rocky was prepared for all that.

The 5D met mydemands best. You just don't get everything in one package. I'd loved to had the battery life of the Nikon. Too, Nikon takes darn good care of their consumers. Canon has a dandy lens line up. I stole my 5d between major markdown, factory, and store rebates; it was less than my FZ. Panic selling is a wonderful thing. They couldn't give 'em away fast enough. Same with lenses. B&H sold out my full time 2.8 zoom for less than half its normal price. one day KM lenses were everywhere at dirt cheap prices, the next day they were gone. Funny thing if you'll remember that last couple months there was a big KM 5D add at the top of the page HERE every day. Bit more than subliminal. Anyway, now I got one and now I know what its all about. Wonderful when a plan comes together, cause it flat does it. Fast as lightning slick as snot. White balance and hues dead on and fully tweakable. I hate it whenguysgo on and on about their cameras, especially when that is about all they can do. I'm starting to bug me.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:58 PM   #36

Let us know how you like the Canon 30D when you get it, Rocky.

Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:00 PM   #37

Squirl,

Congratulations on these beautiful captures.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:53 AM   #38

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
exceptional shots squirl

ur shots inspire me to improve my work, fantastic.

ken

something i took at local garden

Kmack, just realized nobody acknowledged your shot amidst our FZ vs. DSLR debate. That's a very nice composition.