Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:03 PM   #1

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFX01/

Same misgivings we have grown used to regarding noise >iso200

"Noise aside, the FX01 is a real gem of a camera, and one I shall be very sorry to give back, mainly because using a compact with a 28mm equiv. lens is like a breath of fresh air compared to the 35 to 38mm wide end found on most models, which simply doesn't allow you to capture the whole scene in a single shot."

"If the wide lens and compact size are important to you, the FX01 is a no-brainer, and even if they aren't, this is a camera it's easy to recommend - especially if you don't really need high ISO performance. I liked the FX01 a lot - a lot more than I expected to, and it only misses a Highly Recommended thanks to the mediocre low light performance."
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:40 PM   #2

Quote:
..and it only misses a Highly Recommended thanks to the mediocre low light performance."
Another victim.. Either Simon starts to be much more stingy about his ratings or he's really concerned about low light performance and noise issue! Same story in FZ7 is here again: missing "highly recommend" due to noise..

In fact, I do not care such ratings -b/c it should be personally me and my eyes to judge- but what I do not understand is that I saw many cameras reviewed by Simon, not showed good dim light performance but got "highly recommended"..

Well.. let me think more kindly.. maybe he wants to force Pana to pass through Venus III asap :idea:

iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:53 PM   #3

Hi Fred

Just quickly flashed through the review and pretty good it was too just didn't notice your post so there's a double thread!! I wonder if they dropped the res to say 5MP whether they would have knocked the noise at low light really on the head ? fred does the Fxo1 have the new Venus III engine ?

Iason - from what I've been able to tell, Simon does really like the Pana's its just that in his opinion they should have been able to really deal effectively with the noise at high ISO's esp when you look at all of the other improvements that Pana has incorporated into the Lumix's and what others i.e. Fuji have been able to do with dealing with noise in small sensors over the last year or so.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 8:12 PM   #4

It's a little misleading to compare the fx01 and the f10. The f10 sensor is 1/1.7" whereas the fx01 is 1/2.5", so the f10 is bound to have less noise. Nevertheless, fuji has done an exemplary job and if you could combine the two technologies you would haveone fantastic camera. I will opt for the 28mm but I'm quite envious of the f10 iso800 quality.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:17 PM   #5

Fred,

I had a look at the sample shots on the review - the ISO1600 shots were bad and the shot of the lady was just like a watercolour. However I was quiet impressed by the ISO 400 shots - a heck of a lot better than the ISO400 that we're used to with the current Lumix's range - the shot of the vintage camera at ISO 400 was very good noise wise and the portrait of the lady was not bad except in the shadow areas. It would be nice to see an ISO400 shot in low light to compare it to the ISO1600 shots.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/pana...cfx01_samples/

Pic 1. Crop of the camera at ISO400

Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:18 PM   #6

Pic 2. ISO 400, 100% crop of the lady
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2006, 6:11 PM   #7

will this camera accept a 2gb sd card?

Danxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:27 PM   #8