Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2006, 8:03 PM   #1

click to view at full size

FZ20 at 54mm/=325mm zoom , Canon FD 50mm F/1,8 reversed, on board flash reflected by two white bristle paper (which I also seldom use for manual WB). I held them with the left hand with which I also kept the heavy WA reversed lens mounted on the plastic adaptor via 55-62mm male/male ring and a 62-72mm step down ring.
Only shot 5-6 pics for I had to walk with a group of person and ants rarely stop as this one did on top of a stick for nearly a minute. Focussed on the eye cells.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

FZ20 , 12x Tele macro (above and below)

(with onboard flash)

Narmer
MACROS

Attached Images

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:21 AM   #2

Wow, that first shot of the ant is just fantastic! Good job holding still lol.
treed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:03 AM   #3

Hi Narmer,
Great job you have done with your ants - I have tried it too and can show the bites to proove it, but no images.(They were the large bull-ants having a sting as well as huge pincers)
Seems to be you need several pair of hands with your set-up. But I am amazed how good your on-board flash worked.
Cheers from
Moxi - Australia
Moxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:15 AM   #4

wow, handheld microscopy!

We are still waiting for the spring time. But I don't think I want to be that close. I want to test the medium zoom range. Most of my macro pictures were taken with 12* zoom. The results with a medium zoom range should be better / sharper.

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:34 PM   #5

WoW! That ant picture is really extreme...
I've been thinking about reverse lenses for a while... But first I need to get that darn Nikon 4t! :lol:
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:02 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:48 PM   #7

Great job once again, Narmer. Question: Do you just use a regular 50mm lens and reverse it? I have not triedthis method for close up. I have a Minolta 50mm 1.7 lens. If I turn it around and find a way of attaching it to the front of the lens,can I use it as a macro lens, like you did?

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:50 PM   #8

You can,Rduve

F/1,7 - 1,8 are good apertures. Especially if th diameter of the lens is 52mm or larger, reversing it for FZ use won't cause much vignetting at 12x zoom (F/2,8 or smaller will).

I don't know if the "inversion rings" can be useful for stacking the reversed 50mm lens to the FZ adaptor (or Phayee-Pemaraal). What I luckily found was a "male-male ring, with two male threads, one 55mm -the diameter of my Canon rev lens' thread- and the other side 62mm. If you have a FZ30 and the 50mm Minolta lens has a 52 or 55mm thread diameter you'll need a male to male ring of that size to directly attach it to the FZ30 lens.

About the use, I hold the cam with right hand;
of the left hand, some fingers hold the FZ adaptor in the point where the rev lens is attached, and other fingers hold a paper which is needed to bounce light down in front of the lens from the on board flash (which direct light is completely blocked by the adaptor + rev lens).

Focussing always blocking the focus on manual at min distance and then going back and fro with the camera.
DOF, even at 7-9x zoom (which provides some more vignetting) is about 1,5 mm.
So it must be useful to have a further aperture stop at F11 on FZ30 (hope FZ40 has F/16, but this is very unlikely).

As I said it is funny to see in such a microscopic way with a +20 eq. diopter, IMO the greatest magnification which can be used on the field without tripod mount, but I think that Nikon T lensed cover most of the flowers/insect macro opportunities and provide better quality and DOF.

Narmer

Macros
LINK
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:05 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip. I will play around with it. My Minolta lens has actually at 49mm diameter, but I have a 49-52 mm step-up ring attached for my filters, so I could go either 49 or 52. Probably 49 would be better to keep it as close as possible and cut down vignetting. I did not realize that it equates to a +20D magnification. Wow! I also have the 4T for less dramatic effects. I also have the Raynox DcR250 ,but have not really put it to use yet. Time to play this weekend....

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote