Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:56 AM   #21

zygh wrote:
Quote:
My thought is this. If you want noise free pictures then be ready to invest a minimum of 1000$ in a DSLR and (at best!) one or two"good enough"lenses for it.

Not true, I got the Konica Minolta 5D with two zoom lenses, ranging from 28-300mm +512 MB CF and a large camera bag for $649 on ebay. AND it has buit-in IS. Best value on the DSLR market today, by far.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:51 PM   #22

Ya, I know.....ha ha...the noise issue h a s been pretty much beat to death. FZ 30 owners almost to the last man laugh and shake their heads now when it pops up. Of course we know the vulnerablities. We play to the strong features. Personally, I have never been in a situation where I use anything greater than 100 iso. That's just me. There are so many less expensive DSLR's available now that it seems a no brainer. If you really need higher iso shots, rather than lament, and tear your hair, whilst moaning and gnashing your teeth and getting drool all over your sack cloth and ashes....tip toe down to the nearest dealer, furtively look both ways, back and forth, twice...cup your hand and whisper into the salesman's ear....I N E E D A D S L R !!! R I G H T N O W !!! :lol::lol::lol::!::roll::blah:

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:54 PM   #23

rduve, i'm upgrading from the fz30 to an entry level dslr as well. i was considering the k-m 5d and the nikon d50 but ended up deciding on the nikon d50 after some thought. i came to the conclusion that the d50offers better picture quality athigh isovalues and somehow that was more important than image stabilization.

p.s. and also i decided that if one was really to improve in dslr handling then it would be best to be able to learn how to take good pictures without IS.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:01 PM   #24

zygh wrote:
Quote:
rduve, i'm upgrading from the fz30 to an entry level dslr as well. i was considering the k-m 5d and the nikon d50 but ended up deciding on the nikon d50 after some thought. i came to the conclusion that the d50offers better picture quality athigh isovalues and somehow that was more important than image stabilization.

p.s. and also i decided that if one was really to improve in dslr handling then it would be best to be able to learn how to take good pictures without IS.
Good choice. Can't go wrong with Nikon. As far as I am concerned, IS is an feature thatwill be standard soon. You might as well say that you decided to get a camera without AFor Auto Exposure to really learn how to take good pictures without those features. That's how I learned taking pictures in the 70's with my Easter German Praktica SLR, running around with an exposure meter, thenmanually adjusting aperture, shutter speed and exposure.IS is a definite advancement, and a must for me after using the FZ's.

The comment about the image quality difference at higher ISO's, I have not heard that. Examine those two ISO1600 shots, both pretty noisy, but quite good for that high of an ISO level: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/DSC_0009.JPGand http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...19_iso1600.JPG. I love the quality of the KM5D. Here is a shot I took: http://euromaninla.zoto.com/img/orig...b98fc5aae7.jpg (full size). Something you cannot quite get with the FZ's, but close. In either case, the quality ofall DSLR's is a step up from any small CCD camera,however, often these differences are subtle. But at higher ISO theyare obvious.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:23 AM   #25

Just what kind of prehistoric animal is that???

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:11 AM   #26

That's a spoonbill. Took it at the zoo.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:38 PM   #27

it kinda looks like what came out of a turkey and a flamingo.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:53 PM   #28

That's funny. I think you might have pegged its origin...:-)
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:22 PM   #29

seriously now, rduve, i am having a serious time deciding between the konica minolta 5d and the nikon d50. i have sold my fz30 for a favorable priceand am now trying to decide between these two.

do you by any chance know if the lenses for the k-m are more expensive then those for the nikon?

p.s. do you think that IS is such an important matterto a dslr?

Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:55 PM   #30

Here is a tip for KM5D lenses. Buya 35mm SLR camera on ebay which include fully compatible lenses for the 5D. Example I just score a fully functional Minolta 300i with a 90-300 lens for, get this: $26!!! There are tons of inexpensive options out there. Certainly KM lenses are not more expensive than Nikon lenses in the first place.

To me IS is very important, gains you 2-3 f-stops, and especially I like that it is inside the camera not the lens of the KM5D. Why do you think Canon, Nikon, etc. as well as soon Panasonic sell IS lenses at a premium price if it was not important to pro photographers? Makes much more sense to have it in the CCD and use regular, much less expensive lenses. No-brainer as far as I am concerned.