Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:31 PM   #31

Great idea on the lens on ebay.

I was looking for a camerawhich will do indoor shots of my kids wrestling and I was pushed toward the Km5d (which has IS)or the Nikon which doesn't. And from what I hear, its a good thing to have.

How do you tell if the lens are compatible. I have an old 35mm minolta lens 70-210mm would it work??? The IS is in the camera, so It wouldn't matter what lens I use right???

thanks

beth
bethel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:29 PM   #32

Zygh, how important IS is depends on your usage. For example, if most of your photos are done on a tripod, it's pretty useless. It also doesn't help much when taking action photography, unless you like to do longer exposures where the action blurs but the background does not.

IS is important however if you want to shoot in low light, shoot at extreme telephoto, or especially a combination of those two. Rduve is absolutely right, the most expensive lenses out there are the ones with IS built in, it's a valuable tool that professionals use.

If you don't foresee getting much use out of it in your own photography however, you should go with the one you think produces the best looking images.

Bethel02, even if IS is built into the camera, it DOES matter what lens you use. Two lenses might be designed to do the same thing but there is definitely a difference in the quality of more expensive lenses. The advantage to having IS built in though is that instead of budgeting for a decent IS lens, you can budget for a very high quality non-IS lens (or a collection of decent lenses).
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:11 PM   #33

I think I did change my mind to the Konica Minolta 5d. My low light pictures are of my kids wrestling and I would like them to be clear and with the panasonic fz30, i am afraid I would be disappointed. I would rather not have a tripod at the meets, too many people and for me to set up would be a pain in the butt, so IS will be important to me in this respect.

The panny being $600-700 on different sites, I am just going to splurge and spend the extra $200and get the KM5d w/2 lens on sale at the camera store.

bethel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:56 PM   #34

bethel02 wrote:
Quote:
I think I did change my mind to the Konica Minolta 5d. My low light pictures are of my kids wrestling and I would like them to be clear and with the panasonic fz30, i am afraid I would be disappointed. I would rather not have a tripod at the meets, too many people and for me to set up would be a pain in the butt, so IS will be important to me in this respect.

The panny being $600-700 on different sites, I am just going to splurge and spend the extra $200and get the KM5d w/2 lens on sale at the camera store.

Sound like you want a DSLR and you should probably go with if you have doubts about the FZ30. Just so you know, you can get the FZ30 from reputable dealers for under 500. I paid 494 for mine at Beach Camera/Buydig. Right now it is 504 in black, silver is slighty less. I'm not sure why wrestling meets would be low light. Are these at school gyms?
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:34 AM   #35

bethel02 wrote:
Quote:

As far as your earlier question about your old Minolta lens is concerned, if it is a Maxxum SLR with AF, the lens should also work with the 5D. I highly recommend to also get a 50 mm 1.7 lens on ebay for $50 or less for low light shots. 1.7 aperture, Image stabilization and low-noise at high ISO's make the perfect combination for clean indoor shots of your kids. Here is one I took of my son, handheld, indoors in low light, no flash:

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:42 AM   #36

By the way, since this forum is about the Panasonic FZ30, I still keep that one too, and it more than rivals the KM5D in regularly lit situations at ISO100 or less. And there are times when the greater DoF is an advantage, and others when it is a disadvantage. So, I like to have both cameras, depending on the situation. If you can afford just one, it's a tough call. There are pretty decent Sigma and Tamron lenses available for the KM5D with a 28-300 range, making it an all-in-one camera with IS, equalling the zoom range of the FZ30 for just a couple of hundred bucks more in overall price...I would not know which way to go, I like them both, but I'd probably pick the KM5D.

Here are two shots I took. #1 is with the FZ30. I like the sharpness, exposure and color, but I prefer the limited DoF, giving the image a great 3D perspective in the second image, taken by the KM5D.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:48 AM   #37

#1 FZ30

Attached Images

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:49 AM   #38

#2 KM5D
Attached Images

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:52 AM   #39

In this case, a greater Depth of field, accomplished by the smaller sensor is actually an advantage for the FZ 30 over the KM5D. The reduced DoF makes it difficult to choose which flower to keep in focus.

FZ30:

Attached Images

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:53 AM   #40

KM5D:

Attached Images