Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:52 PM   #1

Hi all,

I just registered and I need advice from anyone who can help me.

I have a FZ5 and I bought it for the terrific optical zoom it has, the whole idea was and is, to take pictures of my kids playing soccer. I wanted my kids to be more than just a spot in a picture.

I been experimenting with sport, shutter priority, one spot focus, high speed, normal speed, C AF, and the different OIS setttings, to see what was best. No more 3 or 9 zones focusing. But anyway I keep getting blurry pictures and subjects out of focus

The background is the one usually in focus, and the truth is that when i get the kid in focus is not that great.

- Photo 1

Focal length: 72 - F-Number: F/6.3 - Exposure time: 1/800
Iso Speed: Iso-100 - Metering Mode: Pattern - Exposure Program: Shutter Priority

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...c/P1020067.jpg

- Photo 2

Focal length: 72 - F-Number: F/5.6 - Exposure time: 1/800
Iso Speed: Iso-100 - Metering Mode: Pattern - Exposure Program: Shutter Priority

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...c/P1020069.jpg

- Photo 3

Focal length: 66 - F-Number: F/5 - Exposure time: 1/800

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...c/P1020049.jpg

- Photo 4

Focal length: 66 - F-Number: F/5 - Exposure time: 1/800

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...c/P1020050.jpg

So any suggestions will be more than welcome.

I like the size and weight of the camera, but I am getting frustrated with the pictures.
Thank you in advance,
AmmC
AmmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:57 AM   #2

I think on all the photos the focus point is behind the subject.....it is really demonstrated in the 3rd photo the point of focus is back near the fence and the phone line.......

I would use 1 area fast focus or spot focus....and I would turn off C- AF and leaveit off until you get it correct, then if you think there is a point to going back to something else, try it again.....This has nothing to do with motion blur, 1/800 th of a second is plenty fast enough to freeze action.

How do you make out with a stationary subject?

Have you tried burst mode to see if any photos end up correct?

I just can not understand every photo being wrong.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:48 AM   #3

i would definitely turn of the continuous auto focus. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think with the fz5 (i have the fz30) you can manually adjust the focus using the buttons on the back of the camera. You could use that setting and pre-focus on a particular spot (say, center field, or around the goal) to anticipate where the action will take place - just a thought, but it would be harder with the fz5 that it is with the fz30.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:31 PM   #4
PvB

The FZ5 does not have manual focus. The Canon Powershot S2IS does, but that is achieved by enlarging the center of the image on the LCD so that the user has a better idea of the focus and using the arrows. I don't know how effective that is, though (I myself own the FZ5). It seems to me that you need to prefocus (look up the text on AF Trigger in the manual. Chapter on recording menu settings) on where your kids are going to be. You could try panning as well (no idea if it'll be effective), or as mentioned before, burst mode.
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:46 PM   #5

I would stay away from the pattern focus. I've done much better with center-weighted or spot-focus. The pattern focus frequently picks up on areas other than the one on which you really want to focus, especially if those others are the areas of highest contrast. This may be what's happening in your photos.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:57 PM   #6

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
I would stay away from the pattern focus. I've done much better with center-weighted or spot-focus. The pattern focus frequently picks up on areas other than the one on which you really want to focus, especially if those others are the areas of highest contrast. This may be what's happening in your photos.

AmmCsaid that (s)he used one-spot focus (and pattern metering). The problem seems to be that the camera misses the moving subject and instead focuses on the stationary background. It is tough to get focused images of moving subjects like in sports with the FZ's I find (I have the FZ30). The manualwould beuseless, I never use it in the FZ30, since by the time you gotyour sonin focus (which is tough and awkward to do in the EVF),he'd be ina different spot. Best setting definitely is 1-point high speed spot focus. Choose your son's head from the 9 zones you can toggle through, and then shoot immediately before he moves. Do NOT use CAF because if your son's head is no longer in the spot where you first focused, the camera will refocus and a subject that is now in that spot, such as the fence or the goal.

This problem is why I added a DSLR (KM 5D) to my collection. Most DSLR's have an automatic trackingfeature with predictive focus. Meaning once you focus on a moving object, it will be tracked and stay in focus even if it moves toward you at high speed. It works miraculously. But with the FZ's we got to use a little more craftsmanship, intuition, and patience to get it right.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote