Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:45 AM   #1

Hi,

I am about to buy a teleconverter for my FZ5 but having read so many reviews and posts my head is spinning. I have narrowed it down to 2 favourites the Olympus TCON-17 and the Raynox DCR-2020PRO.

I would like to ask if there are any people using one of the above teleconverters with an FZ5 and what there experiences are?
Many thanks in advance

Dutchgitt
Dutchgitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:51 PM   #2

Dutchgitt,

I don't have either of them but from what I have read and seen I would think the TCON-17 would be the better lens. Should be sharper and a direct fit, the 2020 will need a step ring.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:21 PM   #3

Dutchgitt wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I am about to buy a teleconverter for my FZ5 but having read so many reviews and posts my head is spinning. I have narrowed it down to 2 favourites the Olympus TCON-17 and the Raynox DCR-2020PRO.

I would like to ask if there are any people using one of the above teleconverters with an FZ5 and what there experiences are?
Many thanks in advance

Dutchgitt
I do not have an FZ5 but unless you are shooting stationary birds the TCON17 is a better match however you need to grind down the front of the adapter with medium and then fine sand paper. The Panasonic adapter threads are recessed and you need to get a more secure fit with the lens. This is very easy to do so don't panic. Place the sandpaper on a flat surface and use rotating swirling motion. The goal is to get the threads closer to the front but you do not want to sand into the threads just leave a 1/16 or better 1/32" gap and finish with the fine grit.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:04 PM   #4

Another Option to accomodate the Tcon 17 is this new Pemaraal steel adapter for the FZ7 for $30. Check it out.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"http://www.pemaraal.com/fz7ac.html

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Good Luck ... LarryB
Larry Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:33 PM   #5

Larry Bradford wrote:
Quote:
Another Option to accomodate the Tcon 17 is this new Pemaraal steel adapter for the FZ7 for $30. Check it out.

I know you mean well but the fellow does not have an FZ7 and when my adapter is released it will leave Pemaraal in the dust. LoveLife

RIF
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:44 PM   #6

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
I know you mean well but the fellow does not have an FZ7 and when my adapter is released it will leave Pemaraal in the dust. LoveLife

RIF
Ahha! Any sneak previews available?

FWIW, after sanding the excess plastic off the stock Pany FZ5 adapter, one can attach a UV(O) filter and use the threads on it to securely attach the TCON17.
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:28 PM   #7

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Ahha! Any sneak previews available?

FWIW, after sanding the excess plastic off the stock Pany FZ5 adapter, one can attach a UV(O) filter and use the threads on it to securely attach the TCON17.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:33 AM   #8

Hi Lovelife

Many many thanks for your expert advice and instructions, I have decided to buy a T Con 17 and will post pictures in due time,

again thanks
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:33 AM   #9

Hi Lovelife

Many many thanks for your expert advice and instructions, I have decided to buy a T Con 17 and will post pictures in due time,

again thanks