Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 29, 2006, 4:57 PM   #1

got my Canon 30D today... i can see i have a lot to learn. the thing's covered with buttons and such, and i know it's gonna take me a while to figger 'em all out, but once i do, i expect that camera will let me do some pretty cool stuff.

that said, like i've stated before, i will definitely continue to use my beloved FZ20, and that is especially true now that i've seen and handled the 30D. it's BIG, compared to the FZ20 ... with a 24-135 lens on (38-215 equiv), it's longer, wider, and taller than the FZ, and it weighs more with that "short" lens on than my FZ does with the TCON-14B!! if i put that honkin' Sigma 80-400 on it, the thing weighs almost 6 pounds combined, and is freakin' huge! NOT something i'd even consider taking on a hike, unless i stuff it all in my backpack! i've no doubt whatsoever that the 30D will give me absolutely amazing results once i learn how to use it. i am equally certain that if i'm going anywhere requiring long hikes or risky situations, that Canon will stay at home, or in the car.

anyway, it's here, and i will be starting up the rather steep slope of learning how to get the best from it. as soon as i have some comparison shots, i'll post them for you all. obviously, it wouldn't be fair to simply resize the Canon's images to match the FZ's, so i will also crop an 800x600 portion from the center of each one, at "real life" size, so that you can see the differences there as well. stay tuned, film at eleven...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:32 PM   #2

WOW! Exciting. Congratulations! Can't wait to see your new shots with the Canon. Definitely keep us posted in this forum, and also link us over to whatever you may post in the Canon DSLR forum.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:45 PM   #3

Post a picture on the Canon dslr forum, now that would be novel, unless its to show a dustball or some other mysterious anomaly. I just don't see that many pictures there. Have a look. Deadly serious group. If anyone can help 'em it'll be Rocky. Lets hope.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:55 PM   #4

I am very happy for you, I know what it was like for meto get my new camera. I have an old Cannon A-1, a Pentax, both 35mm. Also have an Olympun 700 digital which really takes shots. Getting the FZ-30 to me was like getting the A-1. I was so excited, so I can feel your anticipation. Best of luck. Be sure to keep up posted.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:55 PM   #5

I am very happy for you, I know what it was like for meto get my new camera. I have an old Cannon A-1, a Pentax, both 35mm. Also have an Olympun 700 digital which really takes shots. Getting the FZ-30 to me was like getting the A-1. I was so excited, so I can feel your anticipation. Best of luck. Be sure to keep up posted.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:01 PM   #6

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
Post a picture on the Canon dslr forum, now that would be novel, unless its to show a dustball or some other mysterious anomaly. I just don't see that many pictures there. Have a look. Deadly serious group. If anyone can help 'em it'll be Rocky. Lets hope.
Yeah, I have not really been there. I can imagine theyare very SERIOUS and maybe somewhat aloof. I sometimes go over to the Konica Minolta DSLR group and they seem very down to earth and fun, more like the people here.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:12 PM   #7

Congrats on the new camera Squirl. Had to chuckle when you mentioned the big lens and weight involved if you want to haul it around. I tried a tokina f/2.8 80-200mm lens some time ago, and couldn't believe the weight of it. What a tank! The lens and camera weighed somewhere around 5 lbs. I tried it for a few bird shoots and must say I hated lugging it around. But the image quality of the one I tried was quite poor-lot of ca's until about f/8. So I sent it back. Good luck with your new investment. I'm looking forward to seeing some great photos with your new gear..........cheers...........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:15 AM   #8

Didn't know the 30d was available already.

Congrats squirl.
Hope she'll treat you as nice as the Panny did.
dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:03 AM   #9

dissembled wrote:
Quote:
Didn't know the 30d was available already.
i pre-ordered mine about 3 weeks ago. it came a couple weeks before i expected it to, which is nice. they should start showing up on store shelves pretty shortly...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:22 AM   #10

have fun Squirl.

VF through the lens is an emotional thing.

PS Beware to leave camera in the car (have often read they are frequently stolen in cars)
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote