Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:20 PM   #1

Does anyone know what the law says about photography in Canada,Ontario,Toronto ? Is there a resource some where that I can read or download regarding photography laws and the rights of the photographer ?

I was out today and felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. I went by the Don Jail and was approached that taking pictures of the building was illegal ! It was fine to take pictures of the OLD building BUT the NEW building. The NEW building was being used so it was illegal to take pictures of it from the out side ??

A few hours later I was on queen street and thought the Street Car looked JUST right for a picture. While setting the camera up as the Street Car stopped the operater jumped out and exclaimed its ILLEGAL to takes pictures of Street Cars ??

If that were not enough I walked by a movie shoot and decided to take pictures of the vehicles and props. Again I was told this was illegal ??

What are the laws in Canada regarding photography and the photographer ? Does anyone know ? I was always under the assumption if its PUBLIC its FREE for all.

Imperialism= A Dictatorship= Communism = Capitalism= Free Country = THERE IS NO SUCH THING !

If you are in Dought just look to the South. US citizens are bound to certain areas for traveling ( DEMOCRACY RIGHT ).

You can see the ILLEGAL Canadian Pictures here.

http://www.videosilva.com/cgi-bin/ib...ct=ST;f=34;t=3
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:12 AM   #2

WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!!! Our freedoms are being flushed down the toilet and we the masses are doing nothing about it. So we deserve what we get.

Sorry it's a sore subject with me. San Francisco as of April 1, 2006 has made it illegal to own and posses handguns. Have the idiots forgotten the 2nd amendment to the Constitution. I'd like to see the Board of Supervisors and the Mayor go out and try to collect them, especially in the heavily armed Chinese community.:G

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:41 AM   #3

Looks like you had a really bad day. But I have had similar encounters. I took a picture of a building downtown L.A. and was chased away by security guards because it was illegal. Another time the female Manager of a car wash was all in my face and made me delete pictures that I had just taken of a dumpster and sidewalk to test out a new camera. Big, black, burly, angry woman. That's the last time I am going to frequent her "establishment". While I somewhat understand the rule about not taking pictures of downtown skyscrapers which could be a terrorist target, it can certainly get ridiculous, like what you encountered. I guess since our civil liberties have been curtailed to such a degree, the "terrorists have won" after all. Oh, don't get me started about the imbeciles in power right now, but it does not seem much better in Canada either unfortunately....
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:12 AM   #4

As for the jail, I would think they do not want it photographed for security reason; perhaps not terrorists, but for the use of other bad people; the street car seems kinda silly, i know i've taken a few myself there! (i'm from toronto, though i only took snapshots, perhaps your setup looked too professional?) as for the movie props and equipment - they probably have a permit to shoot, and i'm sure it gives them sole rights to the area; it is also their equipment, so i could understand them not wanting you to take pictures.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:01 AM   #5

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
As for the jail, I would think they do not want it photographed for security reason; perhaps not terrorists, but for the use of other bad people; the street car seems kinda silly, i know i've taken a few myself there! (i'm from toronto, though i only took snapshots, perhaps your setup looked too professional?) as for the movie props and equipment - they probably have a permit to shoot, and i'm sure it gives them sole rights to the area; it is also their equipment, so i could understand them not wanting you to take pictures.

Yeah, I concur.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:22 PM   #6

The jail is in PUBLIC view you can not help but see it when walking by. It has been that way all my life. It is NOT fenced off it sits on the corner of TWO MAIN INTERSETIONS IN DOWNTOWN TORONTO. Its not like it hidden, fenced, IT IS IN PUBLIC VIEW !
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:35 PM   #7

Strange place for a jail. Sometimes one just has days like that. Hope you'll be luckier this weekend with your shots.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:02 PM   #8

A google search of "illegal to photograph" is a trip in itself, especially if you check out the hits of several pages. Canadians aren't alone in this. It gets better. Have good look at http://www.interesting-people.org/ar.../msg00048.html

pathos of paranoia

So, ya might ask the next dude to help you by qoating you the law, if there really is one. I know. I doubt that I'd push my luck that far either. Sometimes there is, but often no such law actually exists. Stopped googlingbefore I found you specific answers.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:23 AM   #9

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!!! Our freedoms are being flushed down the toilet and we the masses are doing nothing about it. So we deserve what we get.

Sorry it's a sore subject with me. San Francisco as of April 1, 2006 has made it illegal to own and posses handguns. Have the idiots forgotten the 2nd amendment to the Constitution. I'd like to see the Board of Supervisors and the Mayor go out and try to collect them, especially in the heavily armed Chinese community.:G

Hiroshi
one of MANY reasons i don't live in SF... or anywhere else in CA for that matter! WA is still pretty good in that regard, but we have our own problems with liberal politicians thinking what's ours is theirs, and that we have no say in what they do. i keep hoping the "sheeple" will wake up and see what's going on, but i fear they've become so apathetic and disengaged that not much of anything - other than $5 a gallon for gas - will really get them fired up. pity, because Thomas Jefferson was SO right, and the Tree of Liberty is long overdue for a watering...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:26 PM   #10

I found the answer to TTC policy for picture taking

http://www.videosilva.com/cgi-bin/ib...1;&#entry8