Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1

I recommended the FZ20 to a friend because I love mine. But seems like something's wrong big time with her technique and/or camera setup. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to help her out.

Many of herpictures come out fuzzy and seeminglyway overexposed, eerily whitewashed. Below are a couple examples.

She tells me the mode selector was on "P", the image stabilizer was set to "Mode 2" and the lens hood was attached.It wasa partly cloudy day.

Please give some pointers and be brutally honest. I don't think that there's anything wrong with the camera although I've noticed that my FZ20 also occasionallyproduces somewhat overexposed or "whitish" images. (I compare my photos to those shot withmy Canon 300D with polarizer on the lens, so that's probably thedifference.)

Thanks for your help!

aquapuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2

I just got my hands on the image data and noticed the following.

Exposure compensation +2 step

I think that explains the "white" pictures. Right?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3

I've never had my FZ20 take any pictures this bad. TheP mode does tend to overexpose a little in bright morning sunlight due to hot spots and shadows, that's why I use manual mode in these conditions, but these pics go far an beyond and the blurriness makes no sense. Unless I'm missing something I think there is something wrong with the camera. As a test, I would try to take similar pictures in manual mode first and see what results you get. I would also change the auto focus to "spot" focus (4th setting)and your metering mode to the first setting. Is your white balance on auto?Play with the white balance and see if that helps.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4

aquapuss wrote:
Quote:
I just got my hands on the image data and noticed the following.

Exposure compensation +2 step

I think that explains the "white" pictures. Right?
I was posting a response the same time you were. Yes the +2 would effect the shot, but what about the blurriness?

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:36 PM   #5

It may also explain the extremely slow shutter speed causing the blur..... 1/15 second.

Until your friend gets a little more familar with the camera set the exposure comp to -1/3 and the ISO to auto.....and if they have a filter on it may be the wrong type ...remove it for a while.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:34 PM   #6

Hiroshi and genece,

Thank you for your help. I was told that all the ills were cured with your advice although I haven't seen the pictures yet.

Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:51 PM   #7

it appears, as Genece and Hiroshi have pointed out, that the +2 EV setting is badly overexposing the images. i leave my FZ20 at -1/3 EV all the time, and leave ISO set to 100. i also leave my OIS on mode 2 at all times. OIS will do marvelous things, but at 1/15 second, even that won't stop all the camera shake. i shoot in "P" mode a lot, but use aperture or shutter modes when i want to control DOF or freeze motion. i also use only spot focus or "1-area" focus, never the 3- or 9-area modes. spot focus is best for zeroing in on small subjects in a crowded background, but 1-area is a bit faster. i generally leave WB on auto, CAF off, and image settings at "std", though lately i've been leaving the sharpness on high.

sounds like your friend has the problem mostly solved by resetting the EV, but my best advice is just practice - LOTS of practice. the FZ20 is an absolutelyamazing camera, but it does take some work to get used to it andget the most out of it.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote