Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:53 PM   #1

I was 1-click from ordering the FZ30 at BH but wanted to double check the pana web site support area...then I read about the new TZ1,I had to read the discription several time's since I couldn't believe itwas almostmirroring the specsofpanasonics highly rated FZ22/30 seriesonly with a smaller footprint. I think the T in the TZ means Traveler which seems quite appropriate but this ain't your mom's pocket camera by a long shot..no pun intended.

To all the F22/30 lucky users,the TZ1 seems to have adopted all your goodiesplus made it even more portableand withhi-res 2.5 LCD like thebetter D-SLRs. If I purchase,what will I be missing that the F30 has?
mystro544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:21 PM   #2

Maybe you should compare them this way the LCD on the TZ1 is nowhere near as high res as the FZ30.....nore would I expect it to preform as well ...if small size is important I would consider the FZ7.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...1&show=all
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:38 PM   #3

Actually the TZ1 vsthe FZ30 (230k vs 207k)butremember TZ LCD is larger...the resolution is measured accordingly.

The TZ1 specs out better then the FZ7 in my eye and compares more closely to the F30.

Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:07 PM   #4

mystro544 wrote:
Quote:
The TZ1 specs out better then the FZ7 in my eye and compares more closely to the F30.

I should mention the image sensor on the TZ1 is 1/2.5 not the FZ30 1/1.8 larger size and no manual focus which could be an issue to some but both increase size of overall camerawhich is also an issue..hense my delemma.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:15 PM   #5

mystro544 wrote:
Quote:
I was 1-click from ordering the FZ30 at BH but wanted to double check the pana web site support area...then I read about the new TZ1,I had to read the discription several time's since I couldn't believe itwas almostmirroring the specsofpanasonics highly rated FZ22/30 seriesonly with a smaller footprint. I think the T in the TZ means Traveler which seems quite appropriate but this ain't your mom's pocket camera by a long shot..no pun intended.

To all the F22/30 lucky users,the TZ1 seems to have adopted all your goodiesplus made it even more portableand withhi-res 2.5 LCD like thebetter D-SLRs. If I purchase,what will I be missing that the F30 has?

If you order the FZ30, check out Beach Camera or Buydig. The FZ30 in black is 494 shipped.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:34 PM   #6

Err I'm a tad confused, having just bought the FZ30 I was very keen to see these two compared... They are hardly similar!

FZ30 = 8 megapixel...... TZ1 = 4.9 megapixel

FZ30 = up to 420mm.....TZ1 = up to 350mm

lcd is 230,000 on FZ30 and 207,000 on TZ1, i notice someone got these the other way around, and with the bigger screen on the TZ the quality wouldn't be as good.

And the features the FZ30 has that the TZ1 doesn't

Raw & TIFF

Manual focus

Hot shoe

Aperture/shutter priority

Threaded lens for attachments

Admitedly the TZ1 does have ISO 800 and 1600 although it does state with limitations, i guess that means heavy noise...

I'm sure the TZ1 is a very good camera don't get me wrong, but if you were about to buy the FZ30 and have done your homework I can't see why the TZ1 would draw your attention.

As someone who has just bought the FZ30 I can say its amazingly good, well well worth buying. as far as I can see the TZ1 would give the same frustrations as my previous camera....... lack of control!!!

Nic
beesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:19 PM   #7

beesey wrote:
Quote:
Err I'm a tad confused, having just bought the FZ30 I was very keen to see these two compared... They are hardly similar!

FZ30 = 8 megapixel...... TZ1 = 4.9 megapixel

FZ30 = up to 420mm.....TZ1 = up to 350mm
Quote:
5mp is all most people will ever use from my dig experience,that was not an issue.
Quote:

lcd is 230,000 on FZ30 and 207,000 on TZ1, i notice someone got these the other way around, and with the bigger screen on the TZ the quality wouldn't be as good.
Quote:
Your correct but the larger 2.5 size with stillimpressive 207K makes it (TZ1)larger.
Quote:

And the features the FZ30 has that the TZ1 doesn't

Raw & TIFF

Manual focus

Hot shoe

Aperture/shutter priority

Threaded lens for attachments
Quote:
The above was the argument for the FZ30 in the first place *except* the TZ1 is so much more portable,the above attributes is what makes the FZ30 almost D-dSLR-likebut larger and less portablethough certainly aricher camera.
Quote:

I'm sure the TZ1 is a very good camera don't get me wrong, but if you were about to buy the FZ30 and have done your homework I can't see why the TZ1 would draw your attention.
Quote:
For everything not listed above.. great travel options like world time calender with history,leading edge venus IIIengine which allows things such as recording up to ISO 800 in Full Resolution,OIS mode1 and 2,portability..an impressive list.
Quote:

As someone who has just bought the FZ30 I can say its amazingly good, well well worth buying. as far as I can see the TZ1 would give the same frustrations as my previous camera....... lack of control!!!
Quote:
That would be an issue*if* thisTZ1camera didn'toffer so many fast-menushooting mode options..control to a lesser extent but still control.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback,it gave me reason for more thought on exactly what type of use this next camera will get.
Quote:
charlie g
Quote:

Nic
Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:43 PM   #8

No worries, I'm sure either would suit and like you said it depends on what you want from the camera that counts above all else

let us know which way you decide to go!
beesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:42 AM   #9

Buy The fz30 You Wont Regret Superb Camera
nozama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:58 PM   #10

mystro544 wrote:
Quote:

I ordered my FZ30 and for myself I wouldn't change a thing, but I'm glad you brought this camera to my attention. I'm gonna research the TZ1 as a good camera to get my wife so I can insure that she keeps away from my FZ30. Probably overkill for her since she is just a point and shoot person, but I figure it will also serve as something good for me to usewhen I don't feel like lugging the FZ30 at theme parks or what have you.

Funny, but when I first started looking at digicams, I was looking at something similiar in the Casio or Canon arena. I almost ended up with a Casio EX-Z750, but then heard there were some lens damage issues in the event the zoom was operated with something obstructing the lens. Supposedly, later productions addressed this issue. Then I read that Casio was about to release the EX-Z850 which did address the problemand had some minor enhancements so I decided to wait. As I kept reading and researching I beagn steering myself towards the FZ30 and was almost on the verge of even pursuing something in a budget DSLR. After much deliberation, I decided the FZ30 would be more than an adequateleap back into photgraphy without making a major investment in the event the novelty wears off. I also feel theDSLR technology is going to see some majorinovations in the next few years and if I do get into this head first will eventuallly upgrade.

As for the TZ1, I'm gonna compare it to some other models and to the Casio EX-Z850, which is 8.1 megapixel, has antishake andsome manual controls, butI see the TZ1 has a much higher optical zoom. I'm sure the TZ1 has some addtional things I ought to knowabout, but I will have to read a bit further.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote