Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:19 PM   #1

Well the sun came out today so i thought i'd have a go at some macro shots.

This was about all i got thought it was okay but then i saw tuchanye latest macro shots. Ah well thought i'd post it anyway.

OOOh received my D50 today as well great camera but still keeping the FZ20.

Attached Images

wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:09 AM   #2

viewed 17 times and not one comment.

The Fly looked fed up as it was and my macro skills didnt do the fly justice i admit.

Jees you guys are a tough crowd.

Oh well come on fly back to the drawing board.

Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:28 AM   #3

Hi Wadge1,

Maybe the other people are still sleeping or doing other things during their weekend. The picture is very clear to me, good sharpness. But I'm no expert, so maybe you have to wait for their comments.

vdbjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:02 AM   #4

hi ya vdbjg

ha ha fair comment

just playing

mark
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:26 AM   #5

Its a good start wadge1. If you can include the settings than perhaps a better assessment of the shot can be made.

The image is not so sharp, and the fly itself maybe be slightly under. You use any flash?
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:52 PM   #6

Hi ya tchunaye.

Can i just say your latest shots of the spider lunch are excellent.

Now to my attempt ha ha ha

No flash was used it was quite a bright day the sun popped its head out so i took a chance and got the camera out I'm pretty sure that the camera was on auto.

I thought i'd just give it a go. My Fz20 was feeling a bit leftout because i received my Nikon D50 that day and i was playing with that.

I did take a pic of a spider in the bathroom but that was worse then the fly and i did use the flash on that one. which was the built on flash.

mark
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:01 PM   #7

Wadge, looks like you need different light and a bit more DOF. try shooting this with your aperture at f8 to maximize DOF, and use a tripod, of course. looks like this shot was taken on a flower or something, but the lighting wasn't all it could be. don't be afraid to use a bounce flash. if you don't have one, you can make a diffuser for the FZ's pop-up flash by clipping a small piece of plain printer paper and holding a layer or two over the flash with tape or a rubber band.

macro work especially takes a lot of practice. i am still in awe of Tchuanye's consistently amazing photos. maybe one of these days i'll get something close...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:23 PM   #8

hi there squirl033

Thanks for the tips will give it a go

when you say a bounce flash. I'm assuming you mean a external flash gun with a swivelling head. I've seen a few setup on this forum.

I have a vivitar 283 which has the swivel head and a diffuser that clips on but i've noticed that everytime i attach it to the fz20 i can only get F2.8 it wont let me change it even in manual mode am i doing something wrong ?

I have experimented indoors with the onboard flash and the diffuser from the vivitar flash by just holding it infront of the onboard flash and it does help that way i can get F8 in manual mode.

What would you say would be the best distance to shoot macro or is that like saying how long is a piece of string. i guess trial an error.

also i have a tripod but it is huge its great for studio work but carrying it around can be a real pain. could a recommend a decent tripod that can be easily moved around and doesn't take half an hour to setup.

thanks for all the info much appreciated

mark

Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:29 PM   #9

the Nikon 6T has a "working distance" of about 12" (30cm). if you position the camera closer,or farther away, it won't focus properly exceot at reduced zoom settings. at its proper working distance, it will let you use the full 12x zoom, which can give you some pretty impressive results.

as to recommending a tripod, i don't know if one's any better than another. mine is 20+ years old, left over from my film SLR days! any good one will do, i imagine...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:26 PM   #10

my thanks swquirl i'll give it a try will post more pics if i get anything decent

cheers

mark