Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:33 PM   #1

I finally caved in... Itook the FZ30 plunge. After watching the price of this camera go back and forth between 484 and 509 while in the decision making process and much to my dismay, it jumped to 549 at Beach Camera. They did have silver for 495, but Iwas set on the black. I waited for it to come back down and almost ordered it fromOnecall for 517 on Thursday but for some reason Ihesitated till Friday. Friday came and I still hesitated, so I waited till evening. I just happened to check Nextag for prices last night and noticed Beach had reduced it to 494, so I decided to order it. I know that may not seem like much but I was stuck on paying under 500 for it and the waiting paid off since I was in no immediate need of having it any sooner. I can put the savings towards filters for the camera.

Now I feel like a kid days before Christmas and can't wait for it to get here so I can open the box and start taking some pictures.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:39 PM   #2

I know exactly where your coming from, I finally and also after much deliberation bought my FZ30 yesterday!!

Was pleasantly suprised to see my local camera shop selling for only 20 pounds more than the internet and they threw in a 2 year warranty. Just waiting for my 2gb card I've ordered off ebay now, fighting with the pesky 32mb card :angry:

now get takin some pics, and get some posted here!!

Nic
beesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:10 AM   #3

beesey wrote:
Quote:
I know exactly where your coming from, I finally and also after much deliberation bought my FZ30 yesterday!!

Was pleasantly suprised to see my local camera shop selling for only 20 pounds more than the internet and they threw in a 2 year warranty. Just waiting for my 2gb card I've ordered off ebay now, fighting with the pesky 32mb card :angry:

Nic
I can't believe manufacturers stoop to silly stuff like including a 32mb card. How useless is that????? I already have a 1GB High Speed SD card that I picked up for my camcorder. I would havewith2 GB, but I the camcorder claims it only supports up to 1GB. I can always buy a second 1GB card. It wasn't that much of a savings to buy a 2GB as opposed to 2 1GB cards anyway. That lowly 32MB will probaly never see the inside of the FZ30 except maybe to test it. Maybe I'll keep it inside the camcorder incase I want to snap a shot with that.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:37 AM   #4

I bought my FZ30 just two weeks ago from a shop in Edgware Road in London for £375.00 plus a Panasonic 1Gb SD card for £50.00. The shop is now listing the FZ30 at £397.00 on their website and the prices on other UK websites seem to fluctuate week on week. Jessops have the black FZ30 at £550.00 yet the silver model is 'only' £400.00. Coming from a Nikon Coolpix 8800 the FZ30 blows it out of the water... this is one brilliant camera. Bruce*
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:42 AM   #5

Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:43 AM   #6

Sorry... dupe posts. Damn the machines!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:33 AM   #7

beesey wrote:
Quote:

Nic
I was in the same fix. I finally purchased, but it was scarey. I thought I was buying from a new company, so I ordered it. Turned out it was a name change (I don't want to mention which company). I called the next morning to cancel order, even though 5% restock fee. They were really nice so I decided to chance it. I waited anxiously for 3 days to see if I would really get it. Arrived exactly like they said, brand new, in box, for $454 including their high ship cost. I am thrilled. Now I need to learn how to take pictures. I have all the tools. I bought the Corsair 2 GB 133X card from New Egg for About $72 with shipping. It is great. I got a Sunpak pocket tripod and the 8001 tripod on sale at BH photo, and they seem great also. So I am now all set, it is Sunday on a beautiful day, and the azaleas are in bloom. Time to go!
sailboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:44 PM   #8

Congratulations to you all on getting the FZ30 at a price you are happy with.

I too must admit to getting more pleasure than is healthy from making sales people wince.

Down here in Australia we usually pay more than you northern hemispherers for stuff like cameras but I think I got a good deal on the FZ30.

Back in January I paid A$850 ( US$600. GBP 350) for my black FZ30.

Have not seen it as cheap since.

cheers,

Max
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:00 PM   #9

That is a good price, the one i picked up was £380... what swung it was the 2 yr warranty... oh and it was there, in my hands, i couldn't hand it back... so i handed my debit card instead :-)
beesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:41 PM   #10

I agree with Meanstreak about the included camera cards....mine came with a 16Mb
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote