Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:26 AM   #1

I was going to ask this question in the Flash forum, but it seems really really slow and someone here is bound to know anyway, so...

I'm thinking about getting an external slave flash for my FZ5 to get better indoor shots. I've been looking at the Vivitar DF200, but as I have no experience of using external flashes I'm curious about how manual the whole process with a slave flash will be.

As the camera can't know I have an extra flash I'm assuming I will have to adjust aperture and shutter speed for every shot. How do I do this, or rather, how do I know what will result in a properly exposed shot? Will I be shooting in manual all the time, or is there a "generic" setting that works well for most situations, like a certain flash power at a certain aperture at a certain ISO or something similar? Is there any way at all to shoot in P-mode with an external slave flash?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could outline the way slave flashes work together with digital cameras. I'm clueless. :?:
makarjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:37 AM   #2

Anyone?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:40 AM   #3

I laso have a slave flash (caono hf-dc1), and i was waiting for some answers of this topic so maybee i could learn from them....but so far nobody.

When i take pictures with the slave flash i just do it in P-mode and then evaluate th e result...
xedrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:59 AM   #4

xexdrox, check out KCan's answers to my questions in the Flash forum, very informative.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 5:22 AM   #5

Thank you, i will check the flash forum.
xedrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:42 AM   #6

I have a Vivitar that I use as a slave. The model # is either DF200 or D200. I think the cost was about $60.00. It comes with a small flexi-pod and a bracket for attaching it to the camera. I find that arrangement sluggish and heavy. I prefer to mount the slave on a tripod and position it somewhere away from the camera. It's okay, but the body is plastic, which feels cheap when you first open the package.

By the way, there was a good thread in the flash forum several months ago. It was called something like "Anyone want to discuss using slave flash?" Lots of people responded and some gave good explanations about how to set up the slave/camera to work together.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote