Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1

okay, friends, i've been playing with my new 30D for a few days, and have managed some fairly decent shots with it. i guess it's time to do the comparison thing... not the mechanics, or the capabilities - the 30D is far ahead of any compact in that regard - but the images. i got one yesterday that i can compare to the FZ20, becauseit'sa similarsubject, ata more or lesssimilardistance.herewith one of my best shots from the FZ20, and one of my keepers so far from the 30D. both have been run through NeatImage - the 30D shot was taken at ISO 800, and there actually was a bit of noise in it. i won't tell you which one iswhich... see if you can guess. some of you may remember one of these, if you do, don't tell the others!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:27 PM   #2

Im flat confused. 1st doesn't have as much definition in the feathers as the 2nd, yet the background noise seems greater in the 2nd. Still, I believe the 1st to have been taken with the FZ20.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:30 PM   #3

I really hope that the second one has been taken with fz20. so that is my quess.

I think that Fz20 is capable of taking that good pics.
Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:36 PM   #4

Hi all

I reckon the first was taken with the 30d

and the second with the fz20.

Like yourself squirl i have also received a slr camera in the last few days and i have taken a few shots to compare. I have the Nikon D50 whilst i haven't taken any decent shots outside with either the last few days i have taken shots to compare the two. and i dont really think there is a lot in it. at one point i took a similar shot with both cameras and my wife prefered the shot from the panny. But then we took pics of her artwork with the Nikon and she wasvery pleased with the results.

By the way your bird pics are excellent.

mark
wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:53 PM   #5

I like the second one much better, does that count. Can't wait to learn the answer.

Debbie
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:33 PM   #6

Tough call, especially when they are downsized for the forum, But I think the 1st is the 30D and the 2nd is the FZ20....:angry:

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:18 PM   #7

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
okay, friends, i've been playing with my new 30D for a few days, and have managed some fairly decent shots with it. i guess it's time to do the comparison thing... not the mechanics, or the capabilities - the 30D is far ahead of any compact in that regard - but the images. i got one yesterday that i can compare to the FZ20, becauseit'sa similarsubject, ata more or lesssimilardistance.herewith one of my best shots from the FZ20, and one of my keepers so far from the 30D. both have been run through NeatImage - the 30D shot was taken at ISO 800, and there actually was a bit of noise in it. i won't tell you which one iswhich... see if you can guess. some of you may remember one of these, if you do, don't tell the others!

Both pictures are quite good and there are certain characteristics I like about each one. I believe I could make an arguement for either one being the 30D or FZ20.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:36 PM   #8

The second one is the best for me therefore must have been taken with the FZ20!

(I am biased!)...Fred
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:52 AM   #9

well, to all of you who love the FZ20, and guessed #2 was the Panny shot, you're right! i posted these because they were similar enough to offer a valid comparison, at least when cropped to similar sizes. there are, in my mind, two conclusions to be gained from this... one, i need a lot morepractice with my 30D! it shouldn't have been so easy to tell which was which! and two, in terms of optical clarity and sharpness, the FZ20 can hold its own with almost anything out there. that lens is an absolute marvel, especially when you consider how compact it is... the FZ's may have some limitations in terms of handling and speed, but they don't take a back seat to anything when it comes to producing clear, sharp photos.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:02 AM   #10

Rocky, well done and well said. In my very humble estimation you're 110 % spot on.
Gee, that proved the point so very well. The Pana-Leica lens is a real marvel.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote