Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:47 PM   #1

some more comparisons...

i tried my hand at some flowers today with my 30D, and thought i'd do some shots with the FZ20 to see which one handled close-up work better. on the Canon, i used my Tamron 24-135mm lens, from a tripod (no IS!!) in aperture mode at f8-f11, speeds from 1/40-1/80 at ISO200. the FZ shots were taken in macro mode, 1/125 @ F2.8 and 1/500 @ F4.0 respectively.

all were taken within 10 minutes of each other, so the lighting didn't change. the shots from the Canon are, as expected, much less noisy, and exhibit a more pleasing bokeh, but the Panny kept right up with the 30D in terms of sharpness and clarity. these have been cropped to about the same resolution and resized, then sharpened, but no noise reduction...

Canon...

Panasonic

Canon

and Panasonic

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:40 PM   #2

Nice demo that clearly shows the expected superior qualityof the dslr, particularly on the second comparison. The first 30D looks a tad overexposed. Why didn't youset the fz20 toiso80 to get the least amount of noise?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:05 PM   #3

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Nice demo that clearly shows the expected superior qualityof the dslr, particularly on the second comparison. The first 30D looks a tad overexposed. Why didn't youset the fz20 toiso80 to get the least amount of noise?
i have never noticed any difference between ISO 80 and ISO 100 with the FZ20.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:40 PM   #4

IMO there is some difference between iso 80 and 100 (I bet ISO 100 on FZ20 is really about 120-130, at least sometimes).

No comparison in the "as out of the camera" pics owing to the clean look of the Canon pics and the flat appearance of Panny ones.
Using diopters allows a better control of DOF and makes it possible to have more 3D like pics even with panny (owing to the larger working distance and more zoom possible) and possibility to isolate the subject from backgrounds. Cleaning the Lumix pics' background from noise, makes pics look more dSLR like (although the latter have generally also more accurate color hues and less color casts).

Thanks for the comparison
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:09 PM   #5

Thanks for taking time to do these. I find it well worth the look. The second set, looks more like a change in lighting accounts for the difference. more noticeable for sure. Good work...and any time you want to post more, I'd be first in line to see them.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:24 AM   #6

EOS 30D review on DPREVIEW

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos30d/
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote