Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:33 PM   #1

It's done. I made my very first panoramic picture.
It shows you the current flood of the river 'Elbe' in Dresden (Germany).
I think it turned out quite well. I used the panotools together with enblend and hugin as the GUI in Linux. The single shots have been taken handheld, as I currently lack a tripod.

Now, have a look, if you want: http://www.freebytes.de/panorama_fertig.jpg
It is resized to 6000x1085 there, the original is 11247x2033 and is 66MB BIG.

Please tell me if you like it, and what could be done better next time

Pit
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:37 PM   #2

Hey, this is great. Much better than the one I did. An absolute gorgeous view.

Thanks
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:28 PM   #3

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Hey, this is great. Much better than the one I did. An absolute gorgeous view.

Thanks
Nothing to thank for
I checked out your panoramic, and I have to agree woth you :G
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:47 PM   #4

wow i could never do that good hand held. you cnat see hte tranistions at all. great work. What settings were you using?
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:10 PM   #5

Very nice - especially for your first one. Keep shooting and posting them.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:44 AM   #6

Yes, very good - especially for a first attempt. Handheld generally works quite well if you are careful with lining up the horizon (I always handhold for panorams - since if the tripod one is using does not have a panoramic head - such as the panosaurus (which I do not have yet) - then the tripod rotation will often introduce even more parallax errors than the typical handheld pan movement.

The blending is great - some of the seams are slightly visible in the water (all the sky and the buildingsare pretty 'seamless'), but only the leftmost onestands out (the waves near the bottom of the frame could do with someextra blending byhand). Water waves can be enemy number one to effective pan stitching!

Another minor point, the verticals in the rightmost frame lean slightly and would look a bit better if straightened in post-process.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:23 AM   #7

Thank you all for your comments. You're right with the water, thats what I've noticed too meanwhile... I will try to blend that manually. And concerning the rightmost frame verticals: Thats because I didn't shoot straight horizontal but slightly tilted towards the water. I don't think I want to straighten that, I like it this way.

Anyways here is another, this time I took portrait-like photos with much more wind in my face and a pretty ugly rain shortly before. http://www.freebytes.de/pano_fluegel.jpg

I noticed that it is a little bit tilted to the left, but if I would have fixed it, there would be even less height visible. (13 pics this time)

One thing that annoys me a little with it is, that in order to shoot the sun nicely and to maintain the same exposure and aperture for each shot the frames that don't cover the sun are quite dark. I wish modern digitals had more dynamic range. Instead of 8bit per color, I wished for 12 or even 16 per color.

Pit