Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

Just got my FZ30 from Beach Camera. Their price is great and the delivery was fast. I ordered it over the weekend, it was shipped out Monday and I got it Tuesday. Of course they are in New Jersey and I am in New York so that is to be expected

I wasexcited to try this thing out but have to wait for the battery to charge.

Here are my first impressions without getting to try it out yet:

This camera is huge... not that I can't handle it, but I had never seen one in person. The fit and finish look great and despite it's size, it feels well balanced. The viewfinder and LCD are bright and crisp. The camera strap is flimsy and not as wide as what I'm used to and I'm sure I'll be buying an aftermarket or borrowing oneoff an old SLR. I'm sure I had to buy them for the SLRs.

I was surprised that Panasonic doesn't put a tapes seal on the box or at least their was no evidence of there ever being one on the box. I recently bought a Panasonic camcorder andunder the seal applied by Best Buy there was a clear plastic tape, which Iassume came from Panasonic that way. The outside of the box was in almost perfect shape, but upon opening the box I noticed the large inside flap was a little rumpled or creased and got nervous maybe I got a return. I suppose this could have happened during packing or maybe it was examined by Beach. The camera itselfcame wrapped in a thin Styrofoam pouch with the letters "PE" alls over it. I assume that was from Panasonic... it wasn't taped or anything, just a pouch that was loosely fold. The lens hood has a wrapper with similar markings so that is a good sign.The accessories were are all neatly wrapped and tape sealed except for the battery and charger, which I believe is normal since my camcorder was like that too.I inspected the camera and it looks spotless... no marks or fingerprints. I was surprised that Panasonic shipped it with the LCD facing out exposed. It doesn't seem to have anyprotective shipping film onthe LCD or at leastI can't tell if it there.Sorry if I seem picky or suspicious, but that is just my nature.

Now I wish I had the day off tomorrow so I could play with my new toy.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:02 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Puddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 134
Default

Happy days ahead for you!. Congrats.

What you describe is exactly what I got and I bought mine over the counter in a store.

Having previously owned film SLRs, the size, weight and ergonomics of the FZ30 are what immediately made it feel right for me.

I rarely use the big LCD, so it is almost always in the closed position, safe from harm. I prefer the EVF but love the big screen for macro etc.

enjoy your new camera.

cheers,

Max
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:35 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

Puddock wrote:
Quote:
Happy days ahead for you!. Congrats.

What you describe is exactly what I got and I bought mine over the counter in a store.
Quote:
Thanks Max... I'm sure it's fine, I was just taken aback a little when I saw the creased flap and my initial instinct was "Uh-Oh, what did I end up with?"
Quote:
Puddock wrote:
Having previously owned film SLRs, the size, weight and ergonomics of the FZ30 are what immediately made it feel right for me.
Quote:
I almost mentioned ergos in my prior post... yes, I think everything is positioned well and I have small hands. I love the manual zoom... I wouldn't have minded if it had both power and manual, but if I could only have one... I prefer manual.
Quote:
Puddock wrote: I rarely use the big LCD, so it is almost always in the closed position, safe from harm. I prefer the EVF but love the big screen for macro etc.
Quote:
When I first got my new camcorder, I liked usining the LCD, mostly because I was so used to it on my sharp viewcam that only had an LCD. Now when I use my Panasonic Camcorder, I am starting to use the EVF more and more. I feel it helps hold it fairly steady without a tripod. I sure the same will apply to the FZ30 in that I will mostly use the EVF and I'm positive I'll take better shots that way without a tripod... I like the LCD for setting the menus.
Quote:
Thanks Max for all your input. I'm sure will be trading many pictures. I love these forums, don't know how we got along buying and using anything without them in the past. Damn, I wish I had the day off tomorrow. At least we're on daylight savings time, so maybe I'll snap some shots of the sunset over the lake... weather permitting of course.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bayourebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,561
Default

I ordered my FZ30 from Beach Camera along wilth some Digital Optic lens that was supposed to be great for the camera. The camera within a week, all nicely packed as you described. So far no problem with the camera except my lack of experience. As for the 2x tele lens and the wide angle lens, I was not at all satisfied with them. After explaining on this forum what I was doing, I was advised by others that the digital optics were not up to par on the FZ30. I called Beach Camera customer service who gave me a return authorization no questions asked. I saw the return credit on my next credit card statement.

While the Digital Optics lens were not satisfactory, I have only great comments for Beach Camera's reponse and customer service. I would defnitely order from them again.

P. S. Enjoy your new camera and the forum. There are some great people here who are always willing and knowledgeable to help through their own experiences.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:09 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
I ordered my FZ30 from Beach Camera along wilth some Digital Optic lens that was supposed to be great for the camera. The camera within a week, all nicely packed as you described. So far no problem with the camera except my lack of experience. As for the 2x tele lens and the wide angle lens, I was not at all satisfied with them. After explaining on this forum what I was doing, I was advised by others that the digital optics were not up to par on the FZ30. I called Beach Camera customer service who gave me a return authorization no questions asked. I saw the return credit on my next credit card statement.

While the Digital Optics lens were not satisfactory, I have only great comments for Beach Camera's reponse and customer service. I would defnitely order from them again.

P. S. Enjoy your new camera and the forum. There are some great people here who are always willing and knowledgeable to help through their own experiences.

Jerry
I don't understand why people pay alot more from some other places. What kills me is when people pay for used on Ebay for as much as you or more than new.






meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:42 PM   #6
Member
 
beesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 52
Default

i think the thing with Ebay is its a prime target for people who will assume that as its on Ebay it MUST be a bargain, the amount of things that i see on there that people are paying crazy money for astounds me!!... but if they are dumb enough to pay it then its their own fault :lol:

oh and meanstreak mine came out the box the same as yours, sounds like you got a nice new un!...

nic
beesey is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:04 PM.