Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:50 PM   #1

I just noticed while trying to remove a smudge mark on the inside of the rubberized grip that it has a little play in it. I am referring to the inside part where it ends and meets up with the body toward the rear of thelens. It is probaly normal, but if someone else could nudging it gently back and forth to see if it has a little play, I might feel better knowing I am not the only one. I assume it is attached or snaped in somehow and not glued to the body although it might be glued to some sort of backing.
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:19 AM   #2

I see no play on mine.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:37 AM   #3

genece wrote:
Quote:
I see no play on mine.
Just to add... it is very difficult to notice since it is not the entire grip. Just along the edge of the seam where it meets the back of the lens and only if that edge is rubbed back and forth.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:16 AM   #4

It is rare but it has occurred to me with my FZ20: the rubber on the right of its back side was more and more weak and I could finally remove it and see the FZ board with its circuits... so after a year of use I had to secure it from dust with a black tape which is still there.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:19 PM   #5

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
It is rare but it has occurred to me with my FZ20: the rubber on the right of its back side was more and more weak and I could finally remove it and see the FZ board with its circuits... so after a year of use I had to secure it from dust with a black tape which is still there.
This is more towards the front and it doesn't act like it glued... more like as if the backing if any has some play. It is very slight and you have to rub the inside edge where your fingertips normaly touch when holding the camera. There is even a slight gap in the seam. Unfortuantly, I don't have a dealer near my house to look at one to compare. There is one across town where I work in NYC. I may stop there. I was able to look at an FZ5 and FZ7 and their rubber is tight and no gap in the seam.

It's probably nothing and I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle and expense of shipping it for exchange. One of the disvantages of buying through the mail.

Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:56 PM   #6

I contacted Beach and they will exchange it based on what I described so maybe it isn't supposed to be thatway I described. I might send it back... I'll probably have to"eat" the shipping to them. If I send it back, I will try to get them to pay for it.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:57 PM   #7

The grip on my FZ10 has a lot of play, I think it will fall of in the not to distant future. But saying that I have had the camera for almost two years now.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:33 PM   #8

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
The grip on my FZ10 has a lot of play, I think it will fall of in the not to distant future. But saying that I have had the camera for almost two years now.

Treemonkey
I'm not sure that it is a real issue on mine. Still debating on keeping it. Beach Camera may even laugh at me or not be able to see what I'm talking about when they receive it. They seem willing to take it back... they will probably just give it to someone else anyway. I plan to go look at one in a store tomorrow and then I'll decide.

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:13 PM   #9

Meatwhistle wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure that it is a real issue on mine. Still debating on keeping it. Beach Camera may even laugh at me or not be able to see what I'm talking about when they receive it. They seem willing to take it back... they will probably just give it to someone else anyway. I plan to go look at one in a store tomorrow and then I'll decide.

I went to B&H photo and their floor model rubber grip moved more than mine so my guess is that it is normal for this model. Their seam gap was a little tighter than mine, but I believe mine is still within normal tolerance. I figure sending mine back will just mean that I will end up with the same thing, so it may not be worth the exchange hassle and expense. I think most or all of the FZ30's have this issue, but since it is an odd place, you would never notice. The grip performance is not affected, since it is at the edge and mostly for esthetic's. It doesn't move unless you deliberately try.

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:43 PM   #10

genece wrote:
Quote:
I see no play on mine.
I see some play on mine too. I guess it's OK

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote