Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:14 AM   #1

Ok, I have the FZ30 and love it. My wife likes it but is still a little intimidated by it. Got her a Kodak z740 for Christmas, and she has been a bit disappointed in it (we both have actually). Her issues are images seem very soft (though the color is very rich and striking), response is often sluggish, no manual focus, major focus issues and far end of zoom, no image stabilization (she is jealous because my long zoom shots come out much clearer than hers ).

So here is my question. If I pick up the fz20, are we going to see marked improvement in these areas? I know the fz30 smokes it, but she doesn't want quite so much camera (or quite so much $$ spent). Obviously image stabilization will be there along with manual focus capabilities. I think she is going to be more pleased with the 20 over all due to higher speed focus, faster lens, sharper images, etc... Just looking for some third party input (Translation: I'm gonna use y'all's expert input and advice to justify the purchase to her when she sees I spent the money - - Additional Translation -- I'm gonna blame youse guys.:blah

Really just want honest opinions. We are going to take a trip to see her family in MO and will likely take our kids to the zoo in Springfield. I want to get her the camera for the trip as I know she will want to capture a lot of noce photos. She only sees her family once a year, and her mother is in failing health. These photos will be very precious to her, and I want her to be happy with their quality.

Thanks Y'all.
Vol Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:19 AM   #2

I have the FZ20 and have been pleased with it.

It's automatic (P) and scene modes are good for those times when you need to grab shots quickly. As you know. it also has semi-automatic and fully manual modes, so your wife can use it to experiment and learn at her own pace.

I haven't used the FZ30 so I'm not quite sure what you mean by "quite so much camera." However, I think she will be quite pleased with the results in all the areas you listed (sharpness/clarity, image stabilization, effective long zoom, etc.).
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3

I think it is just the size really. I knoe much of what the 30 has is also in the 20, but she looks at it and just sees something large and complicated. She knows I am a gadget nit and she sees me messing with settings and experimenting all the time. She is a little less prone to that than I am. So it is really just a perception issue there. The other thing is it is a little bulky for her hands as well.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:15 PM   #4

Have you thought of the FZ-7. It now has manual focus, which the earlier small FZ's lacked. Also, it is supposed to have much faster focus times than the FZ-20. I have an FZ-20 and am quite happy with it, but I really like to use an external flash. However, you can get a slave flash (or slave flash adapter), which will work with the FZ-7. If size is an issue with the FZ-20 this may be a good solution.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:23 PM   #5

it seems as though the fz7 would be a good option to me too. if she is really just a point-n-shoot kinda person, perhaps the lz3 or lz5 would do the trick too? they still have 6x optical, but will save you over $100 over the fz7
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:19 AM   #6

Had not thought about the fz7, certainly a viable alternative. I do know she wants to be able to use an external flash, but a slave flash should fill that need, correct?

Thanks for the input guys. Helpful as always.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:27 AM   #7

IMHO

If she is intimidated with the FZ30 there is no way she will be comfortable with a FZ20.......the FZ30 is much easier to use.....not better its just easier.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:38 PM   #8

K, well will take a closer look at the fz7 for sure. Again thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:30 PM   #9

Unless you get cute (see some of the threads for sensor's taped to the internal flash) a slave flash will require the internal flash to fire as well. It would attach via a bracket connected to the tripod nut. It could also be moved off the flash. Look for discussions with FZ-5 and slave flash here and dpreveiw's forums for more info. I was trying to decide between FZ-20 and 5 (manual exposure did it for me). You would set the camera for Apature priority and the flash to generate that much light.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote