Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:52 AM   #1

Having recently purchased the Panasonic FZ20 digital camera I am totally appalled by the viewfinder/monitor in bright sunlight. I dont know whether this is applicable to all digital cameras with an electronic viewfinder/monitor but i can hardly see it at all in bright sunlight. I had a Canon G2 previously and did not have this problem. Also previous film cameras were a joy. Do DSLR cameras also have this problem? Thank you in anticipation to your response. Charlie
casarticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:43 AM   #2

Hi Charlie

You could get a rubber eye cup to viewfinder. There is lot of them in the market

I use one in my FZ20 and it really works well.

I took mine from a broken Minolta SLR

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Johannes/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Johannes/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]
Attached Images

Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:01 PM   #3

Yeah, the view finder on the `20 does leave a lot to be desired. I haven`t had to much ofa problem in bright light however, ony in low light situations. I did have to go to a DSLR, a Pentax DS, and I`mso much happier with the view finder on it. The view finder on the Pentax is a true optical view finder, like a 35mm camera,and not a minature LCD screen as on the `20.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:10 PM   #4

I bought a silver model FZ10 because black gets too hot in the Florida sun. The combination of the little viewfinder stalk and reflections off the silver camera made the EVF difficult to see in sunlight, so I put an eyecup on it. It works fine and I would want one even with a black model.

I modified a telescope eyepiece that fit my old D7i perfectly but not the FZ. It works well but I would recommend you peruse back through the old posts on the Panasonic forum and find the Nikon cup that fits the stalk without modification.

This is mine with the eyecup:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:28 PM   #5

Rubber eye cups from older Canon SLRs like the A-1, AE-1, AE-1 Program cameras work well. I had an extra one, tried it on my FZ20, it's still on there.

Check your local camera shops of eBay.

Rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:47 PM   #6

Thanks Guys, For taking the time to respond. Your ideas for using an eye cup have been very helpful and I intend to investigate tomorrow at my local camera stores. All the best Charlie
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:13 AM   #8

Thanks Genece For taking the time to look up the E-Bay possibilities.

To all of you kind people thanks. I have managed to get a rubber eye cup meamt for a Pentax M Series camera at a Knock down price of £3. I really appreciate thes forums for all the advice. Good Luck Charlie. P.S. It works a treat