Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:31 AM   #1

Got a TCON-17 for my FZ-30 the other day, so I figured I'd look for Neil Armstrong's footprints. This is the best of my attempts tonight. With such a long lens, I can tell I need a sturdier tripod. It took forever for it to stop shaking. :?

I managed to get it a bit sharper through MF than with AF, but it took some trial and error adjusting.

I did some minor noise reduction and sharpening, but it really didn't need much.

There's pretty strong blue fringing on the bottom-left edge. Any suggestions on what I might do to help reduce this, other than some PP?

One more thing. When using a tele or wide lens, is there any real advantage to changing the setting in the camera, or does it just pop that reminder in the viewfinder to go full tele/wide when one's attached? It's easy to forget to set that.

Here's the Exif info:

Manufacturer:Panasonic
CameraMC-FZ30
Date:04/05/2006 9:04:31p
Aperture:f 8.0
ISO:80
Shutter speed:1/60 s
EVĀ±0,00 EV
Program:M - Manual
Metering mode:Multisegment
Flash:Not fired, Compulsory flash light
White balance:Automatic
Zoom:88.8 mm Real
Flash::Not fired, Compulsory flash light

Digital zoom ratio:0.00x Zoom
35mm Focal length:420 mm
Scene capture type:Standard
Contrast:Normal
Saturation:Normal
Sharpness:Hard

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:21 AM   #2

Very nice shot, great detail ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:32 AM   #3

You are not on the "fringe", redstickman.

This is a stellar pic!

I wish I could make my FZ30 TCON17 combo stand up and fly right as your combo does!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:51 AM   #4

Years ago I've read somewhere that in order to stabilize a tripod, hang a bag ofbeans or something similar from the centre postof the tripod.The extra weight will hold down the tripod in place.That might help.

Also, would you mind posting the camera settings for your moon picture? Do you setthe camera on (P) , or, do youuse manual settings? If so, I'd appreciate any info you can give me.I've just got my FZ30, still learning. Thank you

PS: Great moon shot, very sharp.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:04 PM   #5

I may try the weight trick to stabilize my tripod a bit, but eventually I'll talk myself into spending the money for a better one. You can never have too many toys!

Macnite, I added the Exif information from the picture to the original post.

Thanks for the kind comments, ya'll.

Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:21 AM   #6

One of the best moon shots I've see with the FZ

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:30 PM   #7

That is definitely a great moon shot. I just got my TCON 17. Have not had much chance to use it. Today, I ordered the WCON07. It should be here by next week. And as you noted in a previous post, I am in Plaquemine, just a few miles downriver from you. Did you make it to the Final Four, March Madness with your new camera?

I am not big in sports, too many other things I like to do at my age.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:02 AM   #8

I'll probably be ordering a WCON07 soon myself. I'll be taking a cruise to Cozumel in May and figure there will be some good opportunities for wide angle pics.

Where did you order the WCON from? I got my TCON17 from B&H. I tried eBay, but most of them would end up costing the same or more after shipping. Plus, I know I can trust B&H.

I haven't really had a good outing with the TCON yet. Hope to get out to LSU lakes this weekend and get some wood duck and mallard shots. If I'm lucky, maybe a few pelicans.If Mike'sawake, maybe some pics of a Tiger! :O

No Final Four for me. I'm more of a football fan anyway.

I'm still hoping someone might pop in here and answer whether it's necessary to set the teleconverter option in the camera when using these lenses. I'd hate to have to actually RTFM. :sad:

Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:11 AM   #9

I ordered mine from Lovelife based on the following thread.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

He handles and designs the special rings, I believe that enable the quality of photos in the above thread. You can contact him by e-mail. Send me an e-mail at

[email protected] and I will send you his e-mail address and information that he gave me to contact him direct by e-mail rather than going through E-Bay which is a little confusing.

Hope you get the lens and enjoy Cozumel.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:45 AM   #10

Full moon coming up next thursday, hope the night is cloudless for once, been trying to get a full moon shot for the last 2 months, but that day has always been cloudy :roll:
Nice picture! hope to get one as good as that someday :|

DarthCroc is offline   Reply With Quote