Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:07 AM   #1

Was going to get Sony DSC-H1 or Canon Powershot S2 until I read this article:

http://shutterbug.com/equipmentrevie...oom/index.html

which said the FZ30 was best of the long zoom cameras for sports/action (I don't want a DSLR..carrying around multiple lenses, cost etc). The only downside that I see on this camera, and it's not that big a deal is the use of proprietary batteries.

Curious to hear FZ30 owners thoughts on the camera, whether or not they compared it to the Sony and Canon when shopping etc. Thanks.

Oh, and which speed & size memory card do you recommend? Would probably take most shots at 8 megs.

dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:25 AM   #2

Love mine. Is it perfect? No. Was it the best choice for me? Yes. I was not ready to leap into a dSLR, but wanted good quality and a camera I could learn on. I got it. Plenty of control to mess around with if you like tweaking settings. I shoot my sons' soccer games, my youth group playing various sports, my jiu jitsu team, and get good results. Has been great for zoo outings and other situations needing a nice long zoom too.

As for the batteries, I picked up a second one for under $15 on e-bay. The guys id was orphanbiker. It arrived in just a few days. He has great feedback. The battery itself has worked great.

There's my .02; take it for what it is worth though, as I am a total rookie when it comes to photography.
Vol Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the scoop. What type of card do you use and what size do you recommend? I'd think it'd have to be pretty big due to the file sizes of the photos.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:06 PM   #4

I too just bought the FZ30, I think is a good choice. The pictures are sharp, the workmanship is excellent, plenty of manual controls, and best of all, the lens! This wonderful glass is worth the expense. I bought a 1 GB, 160X card. Have fun!
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:01 PM   #5

I typically use 1GB Transcend 80x cards but I have also used Sandisk Ultra II 512 as well as Lexar 133x.

The Transcend 80x's are my favorites just because of the speed/capacity/price ratio.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:04 PM   #6

Thanks Eddie. Anyone use the 16:9 Aspect Ratio setting?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:29 PM   #7

i occasionally use 16:9, but it's really just a crop of a full image anyways - if memory serves me correctly, it ends up being the equivalent size of a 5 megapixel image. i just use a plain old sandisk 512mb card and it works just fine - perhaps a faster card would work alittle better, but doesn't bother me anyways. I also use an Archos gmini 402 harddrive mp3 player which doubles as a USB host - i can transfer files directly from the SD card (via a card reader) to the player - that way i don't have to run to the computer every 127 shots, or buy larger capacity cards.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:14 PM   #8

hi, I've just got the FZ30 recently and got a 2gb 150x card in it, on 8mp normal i can get just short of 1000 pics, just short of 500 at fine setting... more than enough i think..

Also as someone else said Ebay for spare batteries, I've just paid £14 for a genuine panasonic battery for it!... £45 MIN over here in retailers!!!

Still waiting for the first good day out shooting, but so far very very happy with the camera.

Nic :-)
beesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:19 PM   #9

beesey wrote:
Quote:
hi, I've just got the FZ30 recently and got a 2gb 150x card in it, on 8mp normal i can get just short of 1000 pics, just short of 500 at fine setting... more than enough i think..

Also as someone else said Ebay for spare batteries, I've just paid £14 for a genuine panasonic battery for it!... £45 MIN over here in retailers!!!

Still waiting for the first good day out shooting, but so far very very happy with the camera.

Nic :-)
I'm right behind you.... I have been able to shoot anything since I got it on Tuesday, except some play shots around the house. I'm headed for Amish country this weekend. I hope to conjur some up some decent shots around there. I hope they don't mind being photographed, but with the FZ30, they may not even notice.
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:42 PM   #10

My day off tomorrow.....

Just going to head out and snap away, play with and get to grips with the different settings and the effects they generate....

SO looking forward to it, the sun better shine!!
beesey is offline   Reply With Quote