Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:23 PM   #1

I'm sorry if this may seem a silly question at first.

Looking back at my recent holiday pictures with the aid of "EXIF-Viewer 2", I can't be sure on which shots I used my TCON-17. At the time I made no manual records of my pictures.

The EXIF viewer gives me the 35mm equivalent focal length, and, seeing the picture size displayed I can see what resolution I used (usually 5MP but occasionally 3MP). So for example 2560 x 1620 means I used 5MP. The format is always 4:3. The 35 mm equivalent focal length came out as 535 mm. That means I was using 5 MP EZ (maximum zoom on the main lens).

However, I can't see anything in the EXIF data that proves I was using a lens extender. If I was, it would still show as 535 mm wouldn't it?

So, can I prove, looking back and forgetting whether I had a TCON-17 with me on that occasion, whether I was actually using it, purely from the EXIF data? Or have I overlooked something painfully obvious in the EXIF data?
Peter_with_digicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2

Peter-

For the FZ5, the EXIF will not indicate anything other than the stock Leica settings. I imagine this is also the same with the FZ7. I'm not sure about the FZ30, though. I'd doubt it since there is no way the digi would know whether the attachment is a filter or a lens unlike the dSLR with IS built into the lens in some modelsand in communication with the digi's processor...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:26 AM   #3

Telecorder

Thanks for your reply to my funny question. I feel you're right on this, and it underlines my need to make sure that when I do take pictures with the extender, I make a manual note of the fact.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:18 AM   #4

There is no electrical contact between the teleconverter and the camera with consumer cameras as there is with a DSLR,so , there isno way for the camera to know you have the converter added.

That is not just with the FZ cameras ,but all cameras using a converter like the Tcon17.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:41 AM   #5

Of course you're all right on this. This is what is painfully obvious, now that I think about it. Sorry for the silly question, but raising the subject might just be of help to other FZ newbies like myself.

I always used to use a notebook with my SLR (even if only for the date I took something), but having acquired a digital camera with all the EXIF data available, I simply thought that I could dispense with it. Not so, then!
Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:26 PM   #6

I searched the EXIF info for an indication of the tele/wide converter menu setting but didn't find it.It would be a natural way to mark usage or not but obviously you can't.
PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:00 PM   #7

Hello Peter,

Have not yet got my (intended) FZ30, am still dithering about the Canon S2/3, but after all the reading about the panny -- especially on Steve's forums -- it seems like a foregone conclusion; the only decision is where to buy it -- here in one of the Cardiff shops at £399 (Jessops, about 300yds away fromThe camera Centre,wanted an out rageous £499 and when I mentioned the price difference to the assistant he couldn't have cared less) or online (Comet online at £359 + £5.95 postage is the best I've found. Buying in the US has the downside of a diluted warranty!)

Any how, to get back to the subject-in-question, can you not use the 'Audio Rec. ' feature as an aide memoire when shooting with an adaptor lens??

Have you (or any of the other contributors to this forum) used the 'time-lapse' feature?? If so, how effective is it?

TTFN

Gerry
gerambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:47 AM   #8

Gerry

You've got me there. The AUDIO REC function is a very interesting idea that I must try out. You get 5 seconds, so something like "Lens extender" should come out. I'll give it a try.

As for the time lapse mode, I can't find anything akin to this in the FZ30. Where did you come across this?

Peter
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:09 AM   #9

I've now tried out Gerry's suggestion about using AUDIO REC to show where I have used the TCON-17, and I'm pleased to say it works.

It's a case of using the REC menu 2/3 and setting AUDI REC to ON. A microphone symbol appears in the EVF/LCD. Then take the photo in the normal way and as soon as a big black mic symbol appears and starts to flash, you have 5 seconds to say something.

The JPG file is created as normal, but an additional MOV file is also created. When selected to open, the file can be opened in Quick Time Player along with the JPG file at the same time. The JPG file can be opened as usual, seperately.

So long as I remember the sequence, it's away with the notebook from now on, at least as far as using it to record when I have used the lens extender is concerned.

So, thanks to Gerry for his bright idea.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 1:09 PM   #10

Good Afternoon/Evening Peter,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

I'm glad that my suggestion on the aide memoire for your exposure record has worked - or at least saved you having to scrible a note . . .

The time-lapse feature I asked about was one which I have been interested in for quite some time, so when my hand was forced into buying a new camera (to replace my stolen Canon PRO90IS) I firstly looked at the Canon S2 (I am a real fan of their fully-flexible LCD - it is great for all sorts of shots) and saw that this - ands its soon-to-be-launched replacement, the S3 - offered this feature.

As I began to research other brands, the FZ30 began to feature as No 2 to the S2/S3, especially as I had read steves-digicam review of the FZ30 quoted this as having a 'Timelapse mode' (see Pg 3. of the Introduction & Physical Views section). However, I had not seen this feature mentioned in the many-other reviews of this model that I had perused, I posted the question in a forum (unfortunately I remember which one, and the answer came back 'Yes, it does have timelapse'

There's nothing in the User manual (downloaded from the Panny website) about this, and now your comment has made me doubt its availability - not that it's likely to make me change my mind about buying a FZ30 pretty soon.

Ken in NZ speaks very highly of his latest purchase and has posted some terrific 'photos.

I would like to ask him a few questions (are you looking Ken?) such as :-
  • Do you use a polarizing filter, if so which type would be best (I used a Cokin mount with a turnable filter on my PRO90)[/*]
  • Do you find the optional Extra Zoom facility useful? As my 'old' PRO90 only had 2.6 effective pixels, and Ireckon to have got some pretty clear A4 sized prints without any pp manipulation, moving down the pixel scale from the 8M max doesn't faze me at this stage.[/*]
  • What bag do you use to carry your kit in? I will only need (as well as the FZ) a spare battery, a Pol. (?) filter (I intend to keep a UV screwed of the front as a protective measure), a couple of memory cards (Sandisk UltraII OK ?) and a mini-tripod.[/*]
  • Have you used the 'Flip Animation' option? and what is it used for in practice?[/*]
  • As the FZ30 doesn't appear to have a 'Stitch' facility (I used this on my Canon quite a lot - in fact I've got one overa metre long,stuck up on my 'office' wall)[/*]
  • Finally, do you use TIFF or RAW very often (were you many posted shots done in either of these?)
[/*]
That's quite enough from me, guys.

Speak again soon,

Gerry (based in Cardiff, south Wales, UK)

gerambler is offline   Reply With Quote