Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1

here's one more comparison for you all. the first shot was taken just about sundown on a clear day with my FZ20 at full zoom, 1/100 second, f4 @ ISO 100. it has been cropped a bit, resizedand sharpened, and run through Neat Image.

this second shot was taken on a dull, overcast day with my 30D and Sigma 80-400 lens at 280mm, f7.1, 1/500 sec at ISO 400. image has been cropped slightly and resized, sharpened and run through Neat Image (yes, even DSLR's can benefit from noise reduction in this kind of light!).

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:20 PM   #2

Both are equally praise worthy.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:14 AM   #3

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
Both are equally praise worthy.
Yes they are!!!

But one camera and lens costs $2,500.00, while the other is $500.00

I would darn better get some cracking pics for the extra $2k, mate:!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!:: !::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!:

Hiroshi

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:35 AM   #4

good point, Hiroshi... the big difference is that i can get shots with the Canon that i could never get with the FZ20, and i can geta higher percentage of"cracking pics" with the Canon... shots like that one from the FZ weren't that common for me, but thus far, i've had a significantly higher "success rate" with the 30D. and i've barely had it a week, so i expect even better things to come... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:41 AM   #5

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
good point, Hiroshi... the big difference is that i can get shots with the Canon that i could never get with the FZ20, and i can geta higher percentage of"cracking pics" with the Canon... shots like that one from the FZ weren't that common for me, but thus far, i've had a significantly higher "success rate" with the 30D. and i've barely had it a week, so i expect even better things to come... :G
Well put!

The fact that you are doing so well with only a week with the 30D, says something about the 30D....and of the photographer

Hiroshi

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:39 AM   #6

If we are going to see more shots like that second one with the fish, don't leave this forum 30D or not...Fred
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 3:19 AM   #7

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
But one camera and lens costs $2,500.00, while the other is $500.00

I would darn better get some cracking pics for the extra $2k, mate:!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!:: !::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!:

Hiroshi

Actually, you can buy an FZ30 for less than 500 shipped to your doorand an FZ20 for even less. A lot of bang for the buck, no matter what your poison.
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:10 AM   #8

Ohh i would love a 30D. Which do you prefer using. Yes i bet the 30D will offer heaps of versatility

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:02 PM   #9

As I said 30D can do far more than FZ20, but in this case the first pic is greater stuff.

If the heronhad the fish in its beak also in the first shot, it would be nearly unbeatable. Didn't you have any Tcon on the FZ20 for it? You must have been somewhat close...

Great shots Squirl
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:19 PM   #10

Two great shots with appropriate PP, Squirl! But don't you miss image stabilisation? I know you can usehigh ISObut that'ssomehow used up asI guess that Sigma lens won't let you shoot at 400mm and f2.8 (like the FZ20).

Still,I know... the 30D is an absolutely great equipment but I would really like to have IS within the camera body.
PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote